Starting Problems

/ Starting Problems #1  

MudtrekkerMD

Tractor
Cub Cadet 4wd Hydrostatic 7275
My tractor is not starting correctly. When I turn the key, nothing happens but the gauges start working. If I jiggle the PTO levers to engage the sometimes troublesome sensor switch, it still makes no difference.

If I keep trying to start it, it eventually will start up but it seems to be getting worse every time. Is this a symptom of the starter solenoid going bad?
Will replacing the starter solenoid solve this starting problem?

It's getting so bad that I'm afraid one day it won't start when I really need it.
The tractor is a Cub Cadet 3 cyl Diesel 7275 Hydrostatic.

Thanks for applying all the great wisdom of you forum members to this little problem of mine.

Mudtrekker

/ Starting Problems #2  
No one can give you the answer you are looking for without troubleshooting the starter control circuit. There is a point somewhere that power should be continuing on to the next component but it is not. A wiring schematic, and a low end VOM or possibly just a decent 12V test light will be required.

/ Starting Problems #3  
As rick said.. you need to see how far power is getting to know if it is an interlock, or bad component.

I would put a vom from the starter relay to ground.. or a test lamp. If it shows voltage/glows when you turn the switch.. I suspect a bad relay/starter. if it doesn't.. I suspect something between the key switch ( including the key switch ), and the relay.. like clutch/trans/pto or other operator presence switches.. etc.

soundguy