Power Steering On Farmall 656

/ Power Steering On Farmall 656 #1  

rback33

Veteran Member
Ok. FWJ, Soundguy and others.... My Dad has an old Farmall 656 and the power steering seems to be airlocked. He has fought this before and got it worked out, but he has NOT been able to fix it this time. There was a similar thread in the Mahindra forum, but no one said how it was remedied. As Dad describes it, the steering wheel turns and turns, but the front end does not move. In the Mahindra thread, it was stated that there was a fairly lengthy set of steps to go through and the OP indicated the the manual did indeed tell you exactly how to fix it and that it worked. My dad needs to move some hay so he really needs this fixed. I also need to use it to run a 3pt log splitter and buzz saw ASAP. ( u knew there was something in this for me...) lol:D

/ Power Steering On Farmall 656 #2  
Afternoon Rback,
Post that question over on Yesterdays Tractors Farmall forum and you will get a reply fairly quickly IMO. Sorry I cant be of more help !

/ Power Steering On Farmall 656
Thanks a lot Scott. It may not seem like much, but if I get it solved then it was all the help I needed. lol

Well, I have gotten no help anywhere on this.... I got a quick reply in the other forum, but nothing of any help...

/ Power Steering On Farmall 656 #5  
I don't have any -red- power steering systems.. only -blue ones-.. however have worked on a few other color PS systems.. including some -yellow- and -green- ones.. etc..Most PS systems will self bleed. If you'rs isn't, pull the lines off right at the cyl, and then orbit the steering wheel .. have a bucket ready.. make sure you are getting flow to the steering cyl.. once you have flow at the lines, hookup on line loosly and pressureize it.. leaving it loose with a rag over the connection should let some air bubble out.. once you are happy with that.. tighten the line. note.. if you keep turning the wheel past lock, and oil comes out that open port where your other hose would go.. then the cyl packing is bad and the cyl is bypassing.

I've seen plenty of old PS setups that the wheels would steer if the front end was jacked up and hanging int he air.. but on the ground.. nada.. all due to a bypassing steering ram..

Post back with results... Also don't forget to do the other side aft the 1st side is done.. also check the fluid resvoir.. keep it topped off during this..

Soundguy

Thanks! I will see if Dad and I can do this over the weekend! I thought u would have some ideas....

/ Power Steering On Farmall 656 #7  
I saw the message but didn't post for the stated reason... no 'red' PS experience.

good luck and post back what you find.

Soundguy

/ Power Steering On Farmall 656 #8  
Go to Yesterdays Tractor. Post on IH forum OR Tractor Talk. Ask for Tractor Vet or AllanfromNE. That'd be your red/white tractor experts.

/ Power Steering On Farmall 656 #9  
Just make sure you got plenty of time to wait.. a few of those forums are slooooowwww.

Soundguy

I did go to yesterday's and got little help. We did find the problem however. One thing I was wrong about anyway... it is an 856 not a 656. At any rate the problem appears to be two-fold. 1) the splines on the steering knuckle attached to the wheel are stripped. Not entirely, because if u jam it all the way down and get rid of the play, it catches again. 2) The Hydraulic pump is flat giving out on it. I think he got the first problem fixed.... the second well, not sure what to do there...:(