Diesel engine "GURU!"

/ Diesel engine "GURU!"
wolfneck said:
Some good ideas already, if you can post the vehicle year model and mileage, that would be helpful. I operate an independent German auto repair shop, and 2 of my techs drive older Benz diesels. They may be able to provide some vehicle specific info or further diagnostic ideas.

Wolfneck
It's a '79 MB 240D with an INOP speedometer, (187,000) but the vehicle has "many- many" more miles, and the front wheels were severely out of alignment, because of inside tire wear, and the brake discs are out of limits too! The engine ran out of compression shortly after purchase! It was purchased by my son, ($900) for distant commuting, but I got involved in the rebuild of the engine! The front seats also show a lot of wear with sagging too. It may have 500,000 miles (?) + It has been a challenging project, but they are a quality vehicle. The German engineering amazes me also! Thanx in advance.

/ Diesel engine "GURU!"
RobJ said:
Make sure other parts on the vehicle are in order. brakes dragging? Etc.

My mom had a 76 or 77 240d, that thing ran like a slug brand new!!

When I drive this vehicle, I anticipate hills, and "floor it" in advance to prevent a "traffic jam!!" But I usually still get "lip service" while their passing me too!! I take alternate routes to avoid hills, because the engine is only rated at 62 HP.; but will maintain good speed on level roads!

/ Diesel engine "GURU!" #13  
machmeter62 said:
It's a '79 MB 240D with an INOP speedometer, (187,000) but the vehicle has "many- many" more miles, and the front wheels were severely out of alignment, because of inside tire wear, and the brake discs are out of limits too! The engine ran out of compression shortly after purchase! It was purchased by my son, ($900) for distant commuting, but I got involved in the rebuild of the engine! The front seats also show a lot of wear with sagging too. It may have 500,000 miles (?) + It has been a challenging project, but they are a quality vehicle. The German engineering amazes me also! Thanx in advance.

My head Benz honcho says the following:
1. Recheck the pump timing, and if this is correct

2. Raise the fuel volume on the pump. Since this is a non turbo model the adjustment is a strange looking bolt with a 13mm locknut on it, on the back of the pump. This increases fuel volume to the internal pump rack. He says that if it running smoothly, he doesn't think you have injector problems.

Hope this helps! If'n it doesn't, let me know, and we'll reassess the situation.

Wolfneck

ps. yes, German engineering is fascinating, BUT, ultimately the Japanese reverse engineer it and make it RELIABLE.The German automakers have fallen way short in that regard in the last decade, from what I'm seeing in the field.

/ Diesel engine "GURU!"
wolfneck said:
My head Benz honcho says the following:
1. Recheck the pump timing, and if this is correct

2. Raise the fuel volume on the pump. Since this is a non turbo model the adjustment is a strange looking bolt with a 13mm locknut on it, on the back of the pump. This increases fuel volume to the internal pump rack. He says that if it running smoothly, he doesn't think you have injector problems.

Hope this helps! If'n it doesn't, let me know, and we'll reassess the situation.

Wolfneck
Thank you, would that be a clockwise/counter clockwise to increase the fuel flow?
ps. yes, German engineering is fascinating, BUT, ultimately the Japanese reverse engineer it and make it RELIABLE.The German automakers have fallen way short in that regard in the last decade, from what I'm seeing in the field.
Thanks again for the reply, I will raise the fuel level.
This is subject to debate:

I will always feel that Japan take others ideas and advance to a higher level; and save millions because of less research required? Cameras is another, (35MM) came from Germany I think(?) But Japan advanced it?

This has happened to England also; the English invented the jet engne, but the Germans perfected it, and figured out how to use it on aircraft.

The British are great designers of automobiles, with all their beautiful classic history, but reliability, or mechanical challenges, is a different matter. I once owned a '52 MG TD with a LUCAS ignition system!! I probably towed and pushed it equal to the miles I drove it!! Jaguars also come to mind; just look at the resale values for proof? These are just my opinions only, and I don't want to hurt any owners of these vehicles.

/ Diesel engine "GURU!" #15  
If it has a cable to kill the fuel flow check that it is letting the shut off lever on the injector pump open all of the way to get the full flow of fuel.

/ Diesel engine "GURU!"
FULLPULL said:
If it has a cable to kill the fuel flow check that it is letting the shut off lever on the injector pump open all of the way to get the full flow of fuel.

Once again, I thank all of you for your time and suggestions; I have learned a lot from your information. I checked and tinkered with things that were suspect including linkage, cables, additional filters, and any fuel blockage, and increased the flow of fuel in the injection pump, with the elongated bolt! The vehicle seems to have more power now, but haven't given it any hill tests yet! That will come this weekend on some grades over several miles long.

I have no idea what the true basic weight of these vehicles are, but it feels and drives like a car > than 3500#? I have been carrying about 100# of tools in the trunk in case there needed!

/ Diesel engine "GURU!" #17  
I seem to recall the title weight on my 240D being about 3300#. A lot for 62 HP. Believe me,I understand the meaning of rolling roadblock! Hope you got her fixed.