Broken grease fittings in pins

/ Broken grease fittings in pins #1  

richardbro

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24
I recently broke a grease fitting in a pin on my BX24. The grease fitting snapped off leaving part of the grease niplpe thread screwed into the pin.
Took the pin to the dealer and the mechanic quickly extracted the broken piece and replaced it with a new grease fitting. Unfortunately I didn't stick around to see how the broken piece was removed.

I just broke another one :mad: Anyone have an idea how to extract the broken threaded piece from the pin? I'd rather not go back to the dealer so soon :eek: .

Another question - being a newbie at this I apparently was removing my grease gun the wrong way from the grease fitting when greasing. My method was to angle the gun to the side until the grease gun tip would pop off the the grease nipple. The repair person at the dealer told me to instead pull straight out but this seems pretty difficult at times. There's a little button at the front end of my grease gun tube that I press while pulling the gun - this seems to be letting in air (I guess) and seems to let the grease gun go a bit easier. Is this correct? Is there an approved method for this procedure? Have I been sniffing too much grease?

I expect other grease fittings to break in the near future - I may have weaken them in that past little while...

/ Broken grease fittings in pins #2  
SIR,
i have broken grease fittings, and i used a small
easyout to remove them. just buy a small set,
and i am sure the proper one will be there.
good luck
accordionman

/ Broken grease fittings in pins #3  
fittings are usualy not in that tight. easy out or even the end of a rat tail file should make light work of it.

/ Broken grease fittings in pins #5  
Personally, I prefer left-hand drill bits. E-Z-outs are too easy to break, & when they do they're so hard as to be almost impossible to remove at home.

To remove the grease gun from the fitting, I tip the head a couple degrees & pull.As you found, "pivoting" the head off the fitting can break them.

/ Broken grease fittings in pins #6  
I have a grease fitting tool that works slicker than anything for this. It looks like a +. It has an ez out, tap, and 2 different sockets. I got mine from Snap-on but I think Lincoln makes them too.

/ Broken grease fittings in pins #7  
Wayne County Hose said:
I have a grease fitting tool that works slicker than anything for this. It looks like a +. It has an ez out, tap, and 2 different sockets. I got mine from Snap-on but I think Lincoln makes them too.

Yep. Lots of companies make these little cross bars for grease zerts. the one that I have includes an easyout, a tap, a socket, and a fitting driver tool.

Mike

/ Broken grease fittings in pins #8  
MJPetersen said:
Yep. Lots of companies make these little cross bars for grease zerts. the one that I have includes an easyout, a tap, a socket, and a fitting driver tool.

Mike

That's exactly the one. Simple to use. Place the ez-out into the broken zerk, tap it down into the broken zerk with a small hammer. Sometimes you need a pair of channel locks to help you turn it, but the broken piece backs out about every time.

/ Broken grease fittings in pins #9  
Richardbro,
As the others suggested, get a zerk tool. the tool looks similar to a valve stem tool if you are familiar with those. You should be able to get one at any auto parts store that carries grease guns. That will help you remove the zerk.
As far as removing the grease gun from the zerk, check your grease gun coupler (the part that snaps onto the zerk). Most couplers can be adjusted to make them snap on firm enough to hold while greasing, but can be poppped straight off easily. The barrel to the coupler usually unscrews. Once you break it loose, try to back it off a half turn at a time until you get just the right feel on the zerks. It sure makes greasing easier.