Rusty Chain - want to clean and protect a little

/ Rusty Chain - want to clean and protect a little #1  

schiker

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 3000, 1972 LCG, JD 5603
Ok What do ya'll do for miscellaneous "logging" chain that sits outside a lot. You go to use it and rust stains your hands and clothes orange. I try and put my good chains in a 5 gallon bucket and spray a little oil on them for storage. Helps keep them from rusting but they are still a bit dirty to work with. I don't think paint is a good choice for "logging" chain as it will chip off with all the misc use.

Are there any rust converters that work well for chain?

I saw this post about Rust and converters but nothing more applicable to "chain" rust.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/parts-repairs/47905-rust-2.html?highlight=rust+converter

The link at end did not work for gemplers so anyone have a better link or idea.

/ Rusty Chain - want to clean and protect a little #2  
Try thi slink for Gemplers Rust Converter.

1-gal. GEMPLER’S® Rust Converter, Restoration - GEMPLER'S

I haven't used it on chains, but I have on many other items. It actually converts the rust into a hard black inert oxide. I suspect itmay well work for chains. Let us know, I just may coat my own chains. It is very easy to apply. I think you could just dip your chains.

Andy

/ Rusty Chain - want to clean and protect a little #3  
What about de-rusting them in an electrolysis bath and then painting them?

Soundguy

/ Rusty Chain - want to clean and protect a little #4  
I've found that a gravel driveway is realy good at derusting a chain, couple of trips then switch ends with the chain and repeat, even works if you are running around the pasture, needs a rinse afterward if you got cows running there.

/ Rusty Chain - want to clean and protect a little #5  
I'd guess you are more particular about the rusting of logging chains than anyone I have ever met. I just hang them up under the barn. It keeps it out of the rain and I always know where to find them. The oil and bucket storage is way beyond what I'd ever do. Besides when I cut and haul firewood I get dirty and covered with sawdust anyway. My wife laughs about my manly looks when I reappear from the woods.

/ Rusty Chain - want to clean and protect a little
Yeah I know sounds a bit silly. Its just a bit of surface rust and a little dragging, handling, and use it kind of cleans itself. Pine tree sap and bark clean it pretty good too. If I don't want to get too dirty at the time I use old cheap gloves to move it and work it until a bit cleaner. I just don't always like to use gloves and dislike tracking the rust to tractor steering wheel and knobs etc.

I watched the gempler movie and that sounds close to what I want. But have read similar products that want you to paint it quickly after. I would like something that will last a little while. But its probably a pipe dream for chain.

I use to work at a tooling company and would bead blast stuff then blacken it with a hot tank nitriding sp? black oxide treatment. That helped but would still rust. I don't know about painting chain figure that would just chip off with use. Maybe a couple of coats of primer only would be better ???. I don't want to go and spend a whole lot of money and was hoping someone had a trick product. I have used naval jelly on some smaller stuff and will look into that submarine stuff in the other post too.

/ Rusty Chain - want to clean and protect a little #8  
schiker said:
Yeah I know sounds a bit silly. Its just a bit of surface rust and a little dragging, handling, and use it kind of cleans itself. Pine tree sap and bark clean it pretty good too. If I don't want to get too dirty at the time I use old cheap gloves to move it and work it until a bit cleaner. I just don't always like to use gloves and dislike tracking the rust to tractor steering wheel and knobs etc.

I watched the gempler movie and that sounds close to what I want. But have read similar products that want you to paint it quickly after. I would like something that will last a little while. But its probably a pipe dream for chain.

I use to work at a tooling company and would bead blast stuff then blacken it with a hot tank nitriding sp? black oxide treatment. That helped but would still rust. I don't know about painting chain figure that would just chip off with use. Maybe a couple of coats of primer only would be better ???. I don't want to go and spend a whole lot of money and was hoping someone had a trick product. I have used naval jelly on some smaller stuff and will look into that submarine stuff in the other post too.

Try the Gempler product. If you want to obtain it locally Rusteolem also sells a version. While they would like you to overcoat it, you really don't have to. It was developed for the US Navy to protect their equipment and I think you will suprised at the results. The black surface is very hard and smooth and since it is part of the base material it can't come off. When you try and sand or file a part coated with it, it is much harder to file than the original part.

Andy

/ Rusty Chain - want to clean and protect a little #9  
one poster had it right with the gravel drive.I hook mine to the atv or jeep and drag it down a gravel road,its just like sandblasting it in minutes shiny as new. ,then spray with wd-40 good to go
ALAN

/ Rusty Chain - want to clean and protect a little #10  
escavader said:
one poster had it right with the gravel drive.I hook mine to the atv or jeep and drag it down a gravel road,its just like sandblasting it in minutes shiny as new. ,then spray with wd-40 good to go
ALAN

I agree that dragging through gravel will clean it. The WD 40 provides a very temp relief from rust. The Rust Reformer will provide a reasonalbly permanent solution.

Andy