Tractor
    Case IH JX90U

Default Ford 1310

Hi, my mother-in-law has a Ford 1310 tractor that runs fine, but the transmission is stuck in low gear. I can shift it fine through first through third, and into reverse, but I am unable to move the range of the transmission. Has this happened to anyone else and could you give me some guidance on how I could fix the problem.

Thanks
    Todd

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Default Re: Ford 1310

I'm not familiar with that model.. but in general, try putting it in neutral, and then blocking the clutch.. now start wiggling the range selector whine you rock the tractor fore/aft.... should be easy with a smallish tractor like that.. see if it will pop free.

Perhaps it is just a stuck detent ball on a shaft.. etc..

good luck / post back

Soundguy

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Ford 2120 , New Holland TN75D, Hitachi UH083LC Excavator

The same thing has happed on my 2120. When I asked the dealer what to do he said that usually the rod just sticks whee it goes through the casing. He says spray with WD-40 and put a adjustable wrench on it from bottom. You may also be able to break it loose by putting it in gear and playing with the clutch as you try to move it. You need to periodically move it to keep it fom hapening.

Andy

Tractor
    Ford 1700, Kubota MX-4700

Quote Originally Posted by eebuckeye4life
    Hi, my mother-in-law has a Ford 1310 tractor that runs fine, but the transmission is stuck in low gear. I can shift it fine through first through third, and into reverse, but I am unable to move the range of the transmission. Has this happened to anyone else and could you give me some guidance on how I could fix the problem.

Thanks
    Todd
    Todd,

There is a detent position on the shifter rod (4 all together) that keeps in proper position of the shifter. The shifter locks in the position with the action of a ball and a spring that locks the shifter position. Same thing happened to me on my 1700. just below the shifter you'll see two bolts as the below picture shows, Just loosen them up, don't have to take them out all the way out( if you curious like I am,, you take the bolt off , there comes out a spring and a steel ball in the hole, just clean it up and put back together).try to shift and try all four ranges , screw the bolt in with hand pressure till you are able to shift to all four ranges and the shifter stays steady in place. I then tighten the bolts normally and start using my tractor. Hope it works for you.

JC<

P.s I just read Soundguy's comment carefully. You know he is always on right track, no difference this time either.

Ford 1700, 2wd.
    Kubota MX-4700DT, Gear transmission with LA 884 loader, Q/A and HD bucket.
    60" Woods Rotary Cutter, home made (3-pt boom and a Row Hipper) ,King Kutter( 5 ft Tiller,Middle Buster,Single Row Cultivator,Carry-all, 5 ft blade, 6 ft Landscaping Rake ,30" Dirt Scoop and a 4'x4' Drag Harrow)

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Ford 2120 , New Holland TN75D, Hitachi UH083LC Excavator

JC

If I read the Todd's problem carefully and relate it to my 2120, it is not the shifter, but the range lever that has the problem. He states that the tranny shifts fine 1-2-3 and R. I think the way I posted above for my 2120 is the correct way to go.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by JC-jetro
    Todd,

There is a detent position on the shifter rod (4 all together) that keeps in proper position of the shifter. The shifter locks in the position with the action of a ball and a spring that locks the shifter position. Same thing happened to me on my 1700. just below the shifter you'll see two bolts as the below picture shows, Just loosen them up, don't have to take them out all the way out( if you curious like I am,, you take the bolt off , there comes out a spring and a steel ball in the hole, just clean it up and put back together).try to shift and try all four ranges , screw the bolt in with hand pressure till you are able to shift to all four ranges and the shifter stays steady in place. I then tighten the bolts normally and start using my tractor. Hope it works for you.

JC<

P.s I just read Soundguy's comment carefully. You know he is always on right track, no difference this time either.

Tractor
    Ford 1700, Kubota MX-4700

Quote Originally Posted by AndyMA
    JC

If I read the Todd's problem carefully and relate it to my 2120, it is not the shifter, but the range lever that has the problem. He states that the tranny shifts fine 1-2-3 and R. I think the way I posted above for my 2120 is the correct way to go.

Andy
    Andy,

I don't have my laptop here to show the part's break down for clarification. There are 4 shift rods that run horizontally just below the shifter top cover. Two of the rods belong to the gears 1-2-3 and Reverse as you mentioned, but the other two belong to range shift 1&2 and 2&3 respectively. the detent ball, spring and mechanism are exactly the same between gear shifter and range shifter. I myself had not issues with gear shifter(1,2,3 & R)... but could not change range. If I remember it correctly I was stuck in range 2. I simply loosend the bolt and moved the shifter to find spot 3 and tighten the bolts. I think if you look at the anatomy of it makes it easy to see. When I go home this evening I'll try to post a pic from the manual. I reckon if the shift lever ball is badly rusted in it's socket could cause the same binding issue.. will see.

JC

P.s Interested to see how Todd gets to solve his problem.
    Ford 1700, 2wd.
    Kubota MX-4700DT, Gear transmission with LA 884 loader, Q/A and HD bucket.
    60" Woods Rotary Cutter, home made (3-pt boom and a Row Hipper) ,King Kutter( 5 ft Tiller,Middle Buster,Single Row Cultivator,Carry-all, 5 ft blade, 6 ft Landscaping Rake ,30" Dirt Scoop and a 4'x4' Drag Harrow)