changing hydraulic oil.

/ changing hydraulic oil. #1  

nick j

How do I drain and change the hydraulic oil in a terramite TC5? I want to drain as much out as possible. Where is the sump strainer?

Last edited:
   / changing hydraulic oil. #2  
No idea on a terramite, but in general the drains are on the bottom of the sump and a crawl under will usually show you where they are.

Sump strainer may or may not exist. it usually is at the end of the return line at the sump. Do you also have a filter?

jb

/ changing hydraulic oil. #3  
You may have to pull the suction hose in order to drain the tank. I am more familiar with hydraulic systems in general, no experience on a Terramite. Look also on the top of the tank for an access plate to get to a suction strainer, if it has one. Unfortunately, there is always hydraulic oil left in the cylinders. You could drain them, but it is a lot of work.

/ changing hydraulic oil. #4  
On the T5C, you pull the hose, and it uses engine oil----not hydraulic oil. 15W40 for temps above 40 degrees F and 10 weight for temperatures below 40F. My manual says you can use a NAPA 1551 filter. To check the oil level, you put the bucket down, but tilted up, and raise the rear bucket pointed out.

/ changing hydraulic oil. #5  
Sorry, the filter strainer is inside the oil tank. To get to it, loosen the hose coming out of the oil tank that's on the same side of the tractor as the steering column.