Ford 2120

/ Ford 2120 #1  

powerstf

I have a blown transmission and cracked casing in my Ford 2120. Has anyone tackled this job on their own before or am I better to send it out? Any suggestions on getting used parts?

/ Ford 2120 #2  
What happened? How bad is the case broken? The case could possibly be welded. I don't think you want to tackle the job with new parts. I'll bet it is over a $10,000 job. As much as I love my 2120 I would probably not do this repair unless I could find a machine to canabalize.

Andy

/ Ford 2120 #3  
Thinking about it more, the 2120 is suck a good machien I think I would spend $10,000 on it. BTW, that is just an educated guess. If I did tear mine apart I would also rebuild the engine and clutch at the same time.

Andy

/ Ford 2120 #4  
We saw the pictures, so how did you do that?

/ Ford 2120 #5  
I tried to fix transmission cracks on a Ford HD Industrial. Failed miserably. One crack was 15-18" long and others were 3-9" long. Everytime I heated it up (pre-heat), I found more cracks. It also sounded like rice crispies when it was cooling down. That was with both Ni rod and some supposed miracle Cast Iron repair rod. Only miracle was that I parted with my hard earned bucks!

I had a couple quotes on getting it done right. That means stripping the case down to bare, washing it and degreasing it then taking it to a cast iron repair expert. They wanted 150 bucks per crack. They would heat it in an oven and weld it in the oven at some high temp (850-900F strikes a cord, but that isn't for sure!). Then they would do a 48 hour thermal cycle to completely stress relieve it. As I had several large and many small cracks, I didn't go that way.

I was lucky in that I found a good case for $75 and transfered the guts to it.

If you are going to have more than $2-400 in the weld repair, you may be better off getting a good case. For about 40-50 bucks you can get some magnaflux crack penetrant dye. The kit comes with 3 parts. Cleaner, dye and a white to help show the cracks. There may be more cracks than you think. (Was for me anyway).

"Pictures", what pictures?

jb

/ Ford 2120 #6  
Don't know where your located, but if your around the Buffalo, NY area, check out castironrepair.com. You would not believe the stuff they can fix. I made the trip up there from Virginia and it was worth it for what I had done.

/ Ford 2120
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I have had the casing looked at to possibly weld, unfortunately the welder said it is beyond fixing as there is actually a small piece missing. Regarding pictures, I have none. You may have seen someone else's post. Any suggestions on where to look for a used housing? Thanks

/ Ford 2120 #8  
Try wengers of PA.

I think you will be better off going with a used casting.. VS trying to repair.. since these tractors rely upon the casting as the fame.. I'd never trust a welde done that was as extensively damaged as you mention.

So how'd ya break it?

Soundguy

/ Ford 2120 #10  
Hi Everyone~~~

2120 ford tractor owner here in eastern Maryland..
Does anyone know how many quarts of oil a ford 2120 tractor holds?

thank you,

Ray