Black Smoke followed by sudden death?

/ Black Smoke followed by sudden death?
I'm hoping for the injectors since that would explain a lot of issues I've been having over the past few years.

Back before I put in the block heater it would fire up on a single cylinder and then run like that for a half a minute before the other would fire up. It's also been a little hard to start even through the summer. I'd just attributed it to the weak starter, though. The morning before the final death, the tractor was extremely hard to start. I just attributed it to a cold morning (20 degrees) even though it had been plugged in for an hour or more.

I've ordered the injectors and fuel filter from Jim Perlik. When they arrive and when I get some time, I'll get everything cleaned out and serviced and then we'll see how good our collective diagnostics are.

/ Black Smoke followed by sudden death? #23  
zzvyb6 said:
Want fried with that?

Now that's just plain knee slappin' funny.

good one.

Almost as good as the 'gas is well,,,,,,,gas.. ' comment from thingy....

Soundguy

/ Black Smoke followed by sudden death? #24  
Have ya done the ho-made spray test on the cardboard trick and compaired results? Almost unscientific enough to be worthless.. but if the problem is severe enough.. it does clue you in a bit.. cuz then you can swap injectors to different lines to see if the problem moves with the injector.. or stays with that line out of the pump...

Soundguy

Iplayfarmer said:
I'm hoping for the injectors since that would explain a lot of issues I've been having over the past few years.

Back before I put in the block heater it would fire up on a single cylinder and then run like that for a half a minute before the other would fire up. It's also been a little hard to start even through the summer. I'd just attributed it to the weak starter, though. The morning before the final death, the tractor was extremely hard to start. I just attributed it to a cold morning (20 degrees) even though it had been plugged in for an hour or more.

I've ordered the injectors and fuel filter from Jim Perlik. When they arrive and when I get some time, I'll get everything cleaned out and serviced and then we'll see how good our collective diagnostics are.

/ Black Smoke followed by sudden death? #25  
didn't mention if engine has turbo, but if so, failed turbo can cause the black smoke and stalling problem.

acts like a choke on the intake side if turbo wont spin

most defects have been coverd before in other replies ie... heavy black smoke is either lack of intake air or heavy fueling. can be a blown tip on injector, causes fuel to be injected in a stream instead of atomized. one injector bad on a multicylinder engine wont usually make it stall, just misfire, inother words a four banger will probably run with a bad injector but a twin or triple might not.

overfueling in and of itself would just cause engine to run at high speeds, not the black smoke unless heavily loaded or lugged down,so it probably isn't the injector pump doing its majik on all cylinders but a case of one cylinder having a problem or no insufficient air.

could even be something off the wall like the engine jumped time, fuel at wrong time

white smoke is incomplete combustion, usually low compression. mentioned hard starting and only running on one cylinder until engine ran for 30 seconds or so. incomplete combustion burns your eyes outta your head, just a lovely thing.

No turbo.

/ Black Smoke followed by sudden death? #27  
You said it was running for three hours prior to dying. Then all of a sudden it died. Hard to restart and died again. Are you certain the injector pump shaft did not break. If it brke the injection would be out of time, thus the black smoke and sputtering, because of incomplete burn. Have had a JD 4020 do this and a MF 165 with a Jerkin' Perkin in it.

KSopocy said:
You said it was running for three hours prior to dying. Then all of a sudden it died. Hard to restart and died again. Are you certain the injector pump shaft did not break. If it brke the injection would be out of time, thus the black smoke and sputtering, because of incomplete burn. Have had a JD 4020 do this and a MF 165 with a Jerkin' Perkin in it.

I sure hope not!

I going with the theory that since it was so hard to start that morning but then got up and ran fine for three hours I've got something less serious than faulty injection timing.

If changing the injectors and fuel filter and cleaning the air intake system and fuel lines doesn't do it then I'll look into the more serious stuff.

/ Black Smoke followed by sudden death? #29  
Injectors aren't "SERIOUS"? Guess it all depends on your point of view. I haven't ever had one go out in a tractor, but a big truck, well, they aren't exactly inexpensive for them.
David from jax

/ Black Smoke followed by sudden death? #30  
I'd rather change an injector than pump.. etc..

soundguy