front axle leaking

/ front axle leaking #1  

hernando

Silver Member
Tractor
dk 4510 kioti and a 450 case track loader
i have a massy ferguson 1540 ...today the front end started leaking around the gear housing where it turns left and right.for the steering ...is there just a seal in there??? anyone know how to repair this ??? thanks for your time bruce

/ front axle leaking #2  
Bruce,

I'd try changing out the gear oil first. New oil will often cause seals to swell and seal off again.

Ralph

/ front axle leaking #4  
Hernando: I've changed both my seals on my bota up graded the new seals from my old ones. If your mech ability is good its fairly easy drian the oil, remove wheel, behind the hub is a ring of bolts remove them, tap that part with a dead blow hammer theres a o-ring that seals that hub assly, nothing is loose in side so no parts are going to fall out, thier should be a snap ring holding all together remove the snap ring it will slide apart. make sure to have the front axle high enough that when you remove the snap ring the part will slide down and out the bottom. this is what it took to remove mine It took about 4 1/2 hrs to complete the job both sides,but wasn't in no hurry. pretty much straight forward!!!