Tractor
    1540 massey ferguson

Default front axle leaking

i have a massy ferguson 1540 ...today the front end started leaking around the gear housing where it turns left and right.for the steering ...is there just a seal in there??? anyone know how to repair this ??? thanks for your time bruce
    Bruce neal

Tractor
    JD 1025, previously Gravely 5650 & JD 4010

Default Re: front axle leaking

Bruce,

I'd try changing out the gear oil first. New oil will often cause seals to swell and seal off again.

Ralph
    The natural gardener
    God's original intent

East PA or 750 mi. east of a short man named Dar___
    Tractor
    Kubota, AGCO, New Holland LB

Another thing I've done in the past is add some Lucas to it. That stuff can work miracles on mild leaks.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    96 KUBOTA L2350

Hernando: I've changed both my seals on my bota up graded the new seals from my old ones. If your mech ability is good its fairly easy drian the oil, remove wheel, behind the hub is a ring of bolts remove them, tap that part with a dead blow hammer theres a o-ring that seals that hub assly, nothing is loose in side so no parts are going to fall out, thier should be a snap ring holding all together remove the snap ring it will slide apart. make sure to have the front axle high enough that when you remove the snap ring the part will slide down and out the bottom. this is what it took to remove mine It took about 4 1/2 hrs to complete the job both sides,but wasn't in no hurry. pretty much straight forward!!!