Kubota d1402 Coolant/ Cyl. Head Problems.

/ Kubota d1402 Coolant/ Cyl. Head Problems. #1  

dune coon

Hello.

As a member of several other message boards (4x4 related), I was pleased to find this place. I've got an '87 d1402 3 cyl Kubota. It started to blow white smoke a while ago, as well as coolant coming out of the muffler. I pulled the head, replaced the head gasket, and took the cylinder head to professional service. They said it was cracked. I replaced the head with a new one, new valves, glow plugs, injectors, etc.

I also checked the block for warpage to the best of my ability. I got it all put back together, and it still seems to be burning up antifreeze (white smoke/steam). I also noticed coolant droplets forming at the ends of the exhaust manifold studs (I installed these studs) - so I pulled the manifold, and antifreeze came gushing out of the stud hole, as if the stud hole was drilled/tapped too deep.

I'm looking for ideas as to why I'm burning up coolant, and wondering if the coolant coming from the stud hole is a good enough reason for me to take the head back off and back to the place I got it from and raise ****.

*CLIFFS NOTES*
Replaced cylinder head/gasket, still seems to burn coolant, coolant present in manifold studs.

I should also note that this has been sitting for 3 months. I don't think there could be enough moisture in the fuel to cause that much smoke.

/ Kubota d1402 Coolant/ Cyl. Head Problems. #2  
You should be able to put some RTV sealer on the threads of the exhaust studs to keep the antifreeze from seaping out around them.

If you see white smoke when the engine is first started when cold, then it has to be a combustion chamber leak (any antifreeze leaking into the exhaust manifold wouldn't boil until the manifold heated up)

If you have a pressurized cooling system (spring loaded radiator cap) you can drain the coolant and then force air back into the overflow tube at a pressure no higher than the rad cap rating (10-15 lbs). After you seal all the studs, you can make sure it holds air pressure over time.

/ Kubota d1402 Coolant/ Cyl. Head Problems. #3  
Pressurize your coolant system with a radiator pressure pump and pull your glow plugs and look for leaks is what I would do at this point.