Ford 1720 spindle seal leaking

/ Ford 1720 spindle seal leaking #1  

Bedlam

Veteran Member
I have a Ford 1720 four wheel tractor, that has a leaking front spindle seal.
I know years ago I had done one side, and I can remember that it was as bad as I thought to replace.On the other hand I remember possibly thinking I dis-assembled more than I need to.LOL
If anyone has done this and could lend some ideas that would be appreciated. even a drawing or whatnot would sure put me at ease to attempt it again.. Thanks
allan

/ Ford 1720 spindle seal leaking #2  
Support axle & remove wheel. Drain oil from hub housing. Support lower steering swivel or axle flange. Remove 4 bolts holding steering arm to swivel housing & leave the arm in place. Clean area of swivel seal. Remove support from axle flange & allow/persuade swivel housing & axle to drop off stationary upper half & dowel pin with steering arm. Allow 8" or so of clearance to allow vertical shaft to come down & out. Pull shaft out, pry out seal, clean bearing if needed. Reinstall bearing, install seal metal side up. Install shaft, reinstall lower swivel housing; I use a small floor jack to carefully seat the housing & new seal. Reinstall steering arm. Fill hub with 134D oil. Install wheel. Check oil in axle center section. Consider changing that oil and the oil in the opposite hub.

/ Ford 1720 spindle seal leaking
Thanks. Doesn't sound too bad to do. With all the snow i've been having , I might delay it a couple of months. thanks again I will print this out .LOl
Al