generator/alternator combination

/ generator/alternator combination #1  

dgizmo1

Tractor
John deere 318, ym2000
I have an old case garden tractor that has a starter generator combination. The starter works and will start the engine, but when the battery is disconected the engine will die. Somebody who worked on it before changed a bunch of parts on it so it might just be the wiring. But if anybody has any information on rewiring it please let me know.

/ generator/alternator combination #2  
Hmmm /w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif

I may be way off-base here, but I always heard never to run a car/truck without the battery even though the alternator would have enough power to sustain combustion. Reason given was that somehow the battery helped "smooth" the power so that there weren't spikes & dips that could hurt other electrical stuff in the vehicle.

Not sure if any of this applies to generators or stuff that you would find on a tractor or not. Just out of curiosity, why do you want to remove the battery after starting the tractor?

/ generator/alternator combination #3  
Removing/disconnecting the battery from an engine after starting the engine is the quickest way to check if the alternator/generator is working. I think what dgizmo1 was stating is the generator isn't working. On some of the newer cars, I think Ford in particular, won't run without the battery though.

/ generator/alternator combination #4  
What you are describing sounds like the person who worked on it had a regulator problem, and rewired the system to use only the starter function of the Delco starter/generator.
This is a common situation on these older machines, because of the replacement cost of voltage regulators. Unfortunately, while it works, you have to use a battery charger to keep the battery sufficiently charged to start & run the machine.
This site should give you enough information to solve the problem. http://www.simpletractors.com/service/electrics/electrical_systems.htm

/ generator/alternator combination #5  
I have wiring diagrams for the case gt units. Email me and I will email wiring diagram.

/ generator/alternator combination
That is true of the new automobiles any of them that I have seen at least they will not run without a battery, but older autos will run without one because the older ones do not have a computer to tell wether or not there is a battery. But there is a regulator on it but it must be hooked up wrong. And the battery is dead that is why I have it disconected, I have been jumping it off with my truck, and you can not go very far with jumper cables attached to the tractor. But I will look up that web site that Franz posted and email jhburke to see what information I can get thanks alot everybody.

/ generator/alternator combination #7  
dgizmo1,

The generator may not be a self excited type, it requires an external source to supply the field current, with no battery there is no field current and no output to run the motor ignition.
Al

/ generator/alternator combination #8  
Watch removing the connection to the batt to see if ALT is good on some cars if you do this and you DIDN'T need an ALT you WILL now/w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif/w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif, use a multimeter to see if it is charging.
Ob1

/ generator/alternator combination
I picked up a new reglator and rewired it and it is working great now and charging just fine. Thanks to everybody who helped