Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #91  
WOW> look what they sell now.
Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

But the grinders about 15 dollars I ordered two they come with replacement brushes. I wondered if this was a good touch or that they expected the brushes to cook out before the grinder was at its end of life.

The original grinder has been going and going, I originally had a sears one 80 plus dollars. ,and felt guilty to push the limits. but the cheap throw away ones you can grind and throw them to the ground and not worry.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #92  
Harbor freight has a sidewalk sale this weekend. 3/7, 3/8 and 3/9.
Normally good deals. I'll make my way there on Friday.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #93  
Bedlam said:

That exact same Chinese built ATV is sold through Canadian Tire stores and typically sells for $4,999 cdn, although it has been on sale recently for $4,599. No idea if it is any good or not, or who would service it or handle warranty issues. They also sell a 90cc dirt bike that was regularly $899 on sale for $599 last week. The stuff has to be shipped all the way from China, and they can still sell it that cheap? Amazing :confused:

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #94  
asylum575 said:

I noticed that they'll have their bigger welding magnets on sale for $0.99 each. I know a number of posters have mentioned that these are a good buy.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #95  
I was looking for a set of HF metric 3/4" ratchet/socket set. I was looking for 6 point socket but all they had was 12 point. I ended up buying a 3/4" ratchet that appeared to be well built with very good finish for $12.99. Not sure if it is Chrome Vanadium ( no marking on it) I used it along with a set of impact deep 1/2"-6 pt socket set and 3/4" to 1/2" impact adapter. It worked slicker than you know what.:D I declare that ratchet was a good tool/buy, actually the ratchet was exactly the same as they had with their Metric or SAE set.

JC,

Last edited:
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #96  
asylum575 said:

Thanks for the heads up. I bought a tile saw at one of their sidewalk sales. They had a big sign posting the price and a BIG pile of the saws. When I went through the checkout the price they charged was SIGNIFICANTLY higher than the sign. I pointed it out and they sold it to me for the price on the sign atop the pile of saws and then pulled the sign down and changed it. I thought that was decent of them, lots of stores would just say sorry, wrong price.

I have the cheap Chinese 3/4 drive socket set (SAE) that I paid $30 for 10-15 years ago and although I don't use it all that often, when I do use it, I "USE" it. It is big clunky and apparently fairly tough as none of the sockets have been damaged and the ratchet and breaker bar show no signs of wear except where used as a hammer substitute. Maybe some folks work on stuff with really tight clearance to get the tool into play but so far these thick walled sockets have not caused me any access problems. I expected to make some sort of wrought iron decorative statement like I have done with lug wrenches with the extensions supplied when subjecting them to massive force but they take all the force I can muster with no visible permanent deformation.

Pat

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #97  
I have a long list of HF tools. The 300# drill mill they don't sell any more has been very good. There is a store in town that sells HF returns. They get them 18 cents on the dollar in Gaylord boxes. I got a big lens helmet never used but with scratched lens cover and broke head band I was able to repair for $15. It is nice. A 10lb spool of flux core wire for $15. It welds fine for me. I also got this DC stick welder for $50 that is nearly identical to my old Lincoln. Here is a comparison photo:

:)

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #98  
i am looking for a winch for my big trailer, thinking about a harbor frieght 8000lb. does anyone know anything about hf. winches?
tom r.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #99  
tom r said:
i am looking for a winch for my big trailer, thinking about a harbor frieght 8000lb. does anyone know anything about hf. winches?
tom r.

Tom, I have only used a couple of their small winches. Just guessing but if you don't approach the max rating and don't use it for extended pulls or put lots of time on it then it could do just fine. I'd be afraid to use one like I have used my 12,000 lb Warn. (abused but keeps woprking even when it got so hot it put out smoke.)

Pat

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #100  
patrick_g said:
Tom, I have only used a couple of their small winches. Just guessing but if you don't approach the max rating and don't use it for extended pulls or put lots of time on it then it could do just fine. I'd be afraid to use one like I have used my 12,000 lb Warn. (abused but keeps woprking even when it got so hot it put out smoke.)

Pat

It works even after you let the smoke out??!! I was always taught that electrical stuff needs the smoke in it to work and after you let the smoke out it won't work anymore.

Warn must put extra smoke in theirs.