Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,061  
Not too keen with the 2.99 circular saw blades. They dull quick and are paper thin.

Before I knew any better (and before there was a local store) I bought a 10 pack of these. While they suck as a blade, I did find that they make an excellent heat shield when sweating copper pipes with a propane torch.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,064  
I bought the 4 gallon pancke compressor and it,s done very well,and it,s an oil type so not as noisey as the oil-less.About 4 years old and still working well.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,065  
I bought one of the 2hp 4 gallon pancake compressors. Worked great until I took it outside in the cold and tried to run it on an extension cord (14ga). It would hum loudly and turn over a few times, then trip the motor thermal breaker. If I tried to restart it over and over, eventually it would run ok. So I thought it was thick/cold oil. But then it started doing the same thing even when warm. Returned it. The replacement does exactly the same thing, even when it is warm!! So figured it was bad start capacitors?

Finally tried plugging it directly into a 20a circuit with no extension. Now runs perfect. So maybe still an issue with the start capacitors, but at least I can use it.

Off topic sorta, but did anyone else notice that Costco has 100ft 12ga extension cords for under $30!!!

- Jay

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,066  
Off topic sorta, but did anyone else notice that Costco has 100ft 12ga extension cords for under $30!!!

Costco rocks. HF should try harder to do what Costco does in terms of offering better quality goods. Besides, I need a six pack of drill presses and a fifty piece screwdriver set. I am annoyed however that they stopped carrying Rotella just as I needed a new case.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,067  
I bought one of the 2hp 4 gallon pancake compressors. Worked great until I took it outside in the cold and tried to run it on an extension cord (14ga). It would hum loudly and turn over a few times, then trip the motor thermal breaker...
- Jay

I had the same experience with a cheap pancake compressor from Homier tools. I figured it wouldn't handle the voltage drop. I just learned to run long air hose instead of running long extension cords. A work around if I did have to put it on a long extension cord was to drain the tank down to about 20 PSI and then start it. There must be some kind of unloader valve that can be installed, but the cost may defeat the purpose of buying elcheapo chinese junk.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,068  
My experience with HF's 10 gallon compressor was similar.
HF claims "5.6 CFM @ 90 PSI; 7.2 CFM @ 40 PSI".
90234-t.gif

It couldn't stay ahead of their 3 SCFM@90psi die grinder.
53177-t.gif

After a couple of minutes the grinder stalled, tank pressure showed below 40, and the motor was billowing smoke. This was plugged in at the sub-panel.

There must be a huge difference between a HF cfm and a scfm.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,069  
Bought the pancake 2hp compressor for use with air nailers and am very happy with it. For the amperage draw of a 2hp motor you should be using at least a 12ga extension cord.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,070  
I had the same experience with a cheap pancake compressor from Homier tools. I figured it wouldn't handle the voltage drop. I just learned to run long air hose instead of running long extension cords. A work around if I did have to put it on a long extension cord was to drain the tank down to about 20 PSI and then start it. There must be some kind of unloader valve that can be installed, but the cost may defeat the purpose of buying elcheapo chinese junk.
I just burnt up another one of those POS. And it was plugged directly into wall outlet! Luckily I have a fullsize compressor in the job trailer and plenty of Hose.:D I only miss the pancake when it's puring down rain and I have inside work to do where I can't have a window open for the hose to pass thru.