Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,141  
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,142  
re the Jump Start jumper batteries - Dargo, you got the cheapskate one. (400/900 amp, 17 AH).

I got the big yellow one, the one where the back of the case is extended for an oversize battery inside. I think it's 600/1200 amp, 24 AH. It works fine. I don't see them online now so maybe that was a closeout.

I am also accumulating DSL modem/wireless router gear that is all 12 volts so I can have wireless internet to our laptops during a power outage, all powered from that battery. Even before locating the last of these components, I can run my existing gear through an inverter powered from the battery. And if the power should be out for days, I could recharge the laptops from the inverter, then recharge the jump battery from running my car.

It's good for more than just jumping cars, it's a universal emergency power supply, for home or even car-camping.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,143  
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,144  
Well....that certainly wouldn't be the first time! :D

I think I've figured out that there is a conspiracy going on. All the Harbor Freight stores send the duds and rejects to South Indiana so Dargo can buy them.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,145  
I think I've figured out that there is a conspiracy going on. All the Harbor Freight stores send the duds and rejects to South Indiana so Dargo can buy them.

Call me sucker if you want, but I took a certain person's strong recommendation of the 3/4" Earthquake air impact even after I had a bad experience (bad being my 1/2" IR was considerably stronger) I bought another sort of hoping the first one I had was one of what seems to be 50% duds from HF. It was an opened item with a mangled box and on sale. The store manager took another 20% off the ad price for not having a manual or box and I used another 20% off coupon. With tax and all it was still about $150.

I have to change a sproket on a smaller dozer and do some tire swapping on my dual tandem trailer I use for hauling excavator, backhoe little dozer etc. I have a good air compressor I can use on site that I'm borrowing and I'll run the Earfquake (that's what the store manager called it) at it's max pressure - copied manual from another impact) and see if it has any guts. If so, I'll be happy. :) If not, I'll permanently write off the "Earthquake" brand of air tools.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,146  
I for one love Dargo's continuing misadventures with HF. You'd think he'd learn to stay away but instead he does all the dirty work for the rest of us.

I do check in with HF once a month or so but am never tempted by their hand power tools after what I read here. I do lust after their large industrial drill press and the anvil as I seem to have a weakness for buying steel for less than a buck a pound. This past weekend I could not resist the 2ton folding shop crane marked down from 250 to 150 and then applied a 20% coupon. The thing weighs (in pounds) more than I paid for it (in $) and it actually bolted together smoothly and works quite nicely. Unfortunately I don't have much of a use for it (though I did use it to lift up my riding mower to fix the belts) but I still am amazed that you can buy a fairly decent heavy tool like this for $127.

Attachments

• image_369.jpg
    image_369.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 144
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,147  
Has anyone had to return a HF anvil yet because it broke?

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,148  
No, but I abandoned my intent to buy one recently when they were $39/55lbs.

Before going to HF I found some anvil fanatic websites and saw pictures where that anvil was dented by hammering on it. Apparently a 'real' anvil is tempered to tool steel quality, while these are just cast and untempered.

I'll keep using my two chunks of railroad rail. Their shape isn't ideal but I've never dented one.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,149  
Has anyone had to return a HF anvil yet because it broke?

Give it a few minutes.....Dargo will be along explaining how he had two of them disintegrate first time he hit them with a 4 ounce hammer, which also broke since he bought it at HF:laughing:

I heard HF recently sent him a new solid titanium bowling ball for testing and he broke it taking it out of the box:D

Seriously I've been happy with 99% of my purchases at HF...I think Dargo is jinxed somehow...

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,150  
....I think "Dargo" is some ancient dialect for "Murphy":laughing:

So far, no complaints about the few purchases I have made from HF. I certainly appreciate people sharing their experiences so I may make informed purchases.

Regarding "Homier"- I used to enjoy going to their "Circus" events years ago. I still have two hand trucks purchased 8 years ago at 14.99 each....beaten, abused- certainly not loved.......still in good shape with original wheels. :thumbsup:

About 7 years ago, I purchased a refurbished Dewalt Air Framing Gun. The price was great, and I wagered that if it only lasted for the project I was buying it for- then it would be worth it. It is still going strong to this day!

Otherwise, Homier's quality went out the window some time ago..... There is a new 'Circus' that comes around every so often- but they are awful. Frequently they do not have what is in the sale paper, and what they do have looks to be "refurbished" by going through the dumpster for parts.

I can only hope that HF will build a store closer to me...........with the hopes that Dargo's returns won't be used to stock the new store!:D