Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #111  
I bought their version of the 10 ton Port-a-power this morning for $119. Several of the guys I work with have them and they are OK. Lots of people at the store buying stuff.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #112  
reasley said:
Harbor Freight is having what they call their "sidewalk sale" this weekend. I just happened to be going by there and needed to return something anyway, so I stopped in. I didn't look very long, but I did get a couple more (now have probably 6) of the 4 & 1/2" angle grinders -- for $8.88 each -- the cheapest that I've ever seen them there. Also, they have their large full-head air nailer (8-10 gauge) for $49 -- which is also the cheapest that I have seen that one. I have used that air nailer for about 5-6 years now and bought a backup about 3-4 months ago. Finally, they have a good deal on a 3/8" impact wrench (not the air wrench, but an impact). Just an FYI for anyone that likes HF . . .

Thanks for the reminder. I knew that but it had slipped (like so many other things) from my mind. I intended to go. If the weather cooperates (we are having a brief unscheduled gust of winter) I will buzz up to Norman, Oklahoma and check it out.

Thanks again for the reminder.

Pat

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #113  
Love this thread.
First, a twist on an old joke.. What do shopping at HF and riding a bicycle have in common? Both can be a lot of fun, but you wouldn't want your friends to see you doing it.
Also, guy asks friend what's the weather supposed to be like? Friend says his radio forecast rain, "But it's just a cheap radio".
On topic, I have had a lot of good service out of HF goods. For instance, I have about a half dozen of the little 4.5" grinders. One for each type of wheel I use much (wire wheel, wire cup, cut off, metal grind, concrete grind, etc.). All for less than the cost of one DeWalt. I know that great tools are great for a reason, but sometimes I just need a task completed for the best price per performance in a low use situation.
Later,
Wayne

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #114  
Hi Wayne, Welcome aboard. HF is a mixed blessing. One man's meat is another's poison. I am getting to head out for HF right now and will return a broken tool as well as stroll about for bargains.

Plastic part of wood working clamp broke way too easy.

Oh, and what part of the world are you in?

Pat

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #115  
Hi Pat, and Thanks.
As you know, I'm new to the board (it's my first time at joining one), although I've been a reader for a while. I just updated my profile to show my location (I think). But in any case, I live in out in the sticks of middle Georgia. The nearest HF is 50 miles away in Macon. I always drop in if I'm up that way, but most purchases are mail order.
Which brings up an issue I'm surprised no one has mentioned. If you ever order anything from HF, you'll never have to cut firewood again. Just burn as many of the catalogs as you need for heat, then shred the rest for mulch. They make a postman earn his pay.
Later,
Wayne

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #116  
Wayne, For years I've been recommending folks get on all the mailing lists they can, shred the junk and use an auger feed to put it in the firebox. FREE FUEL. Of course, compost is a good idea too and helps keep the pile from getting too large in summer when the only fire yo may have is under the still. ;)

50 miles, eh? WOW... I only had to drive 45 one way today to get to HF. We aren't back side of the moon remote here, not even in the middle of nowhere but on a clear day you can see it from the top of the hay barn. ;) ;)

I have several HF woodworking clamps and one broke. I took it in and asked if it was a hand tool (big sign says hand tools are lifetime guarantee) they gave me a new one with no hassle and did not ask to see a receipt.

Pat

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #117  
wa9w00d said:
Hi Pat, and Thanks.
As you know, I'm new to the board (it's my first time at joining one), although I've been a reader for a while. I just updated my profile to show my location (I think). But in any case, I live in out in the sticks of middle Georgia. The nearest HF is 50 miles away in Macon. I always drop in if I'm up that way, but most purchases are mail order.
Which brings up an issue I'm surprised no one has mentioned. If you ever order anything from HF, you'll never have to cut firewood again. Just burn as many of the catalogs as you need for heat, then shred the rest for mulch. They make a postman earn his pay.
Later,
Wayne
Wayne I was just in Marietta, Georgia yesterday for an arbitration. I stayed in a hampton inn there and was the politest hotel I have ever been in.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #118  
As far as their return policy and ability to 'please' a customer, I think they do a great job. Never had a problem with them with returns or problems. Many other companies could take some lessons from them.
Al

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #119  
Hi Gemini,
Glad you enjoyed your visit. Most Georgians pride themselves on their hospitality. And as long as you don't mention college football teams, everybody loves to smile and say hi.:D
Later,
Wayne

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #120  
reasley said:
Harbor Freight is having what they call their "sidewalk sale" this weekend. I just happened to be going by there and needed to return something anyway, so I stopped in. I didn't look very long, but I did get a couple more (now have probably 6) of the 4 & 1/2" angle grinders -- for $8.88 each -- the cheapest that I've ever seen them there. Also, they have their large full-head air nailer (8-10 gauge) for $49 -- which is also the cheapest that I have seen that one. I have used that air nailer for about 5-6 years now and bought a backup about 3-4 months ago. Finally, they have a good deal on a 3/8" impact wrench (not the air wrench, but an impact). Just an FYI for anyone that likes HF . . .

Thanks for the reminder. I went I saw, I bought. I made another personal best... I got out of HF spending less than $3!!

I bought two more of the welding magnets. You know, the ones that look like arrows.