Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,461  
bought there porta power today - used it to do some work on a brush hog tonight and it worked GReat for the price.
Also bought their metal cutting circular saw last week and it works excellent. Cut 5/16th plate like a regular saw through wood. Very impressive!

I have the 4-ton set. It has worked great so far except for: one of the the spreader jaws broke and after a while the fluid got so low it did not work anymore...Replaced the fluid (a big mess :confused2:) and now it is as good as new. :thumbsup:

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,462  
Two questions for the HF shoppers:

1) Last weekend I bought one of their ceramic kitchen knives. Awesome...... slices roast beef so thin my inlaws will never come back ! When these dull, are they a throw away? Or are these sharpened like any other knife?

2) Anyone own one of the HF gasoline generators, say 5000 watt and up? Looks like one of their Lifan Honda clone engines. Just wondering if anyone has some hours on one and can give a good or bad review...........
With a 20% off coupon, looks like they might be a decent deal.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,463  
Last weekend I bought one of their ceramic kitchen knives. Awesome
Do we all remember the Ginsu:licking:

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,464  

1) Last weekend I bought one of their ceramic kitchen knives. Awesome...... slices roast beef so thin my inlaws will never come back ! When these dull, are they a throw away? Or are these sharpened like any other knife?

Can't sharpen it without factory means. They don't dull, but the blade can and will chip if you aren't careful. We use one to cut pinapples, which are notoriously hard on knives. Still sharp after maybe 30 pineapples.

Last edited:
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,467  

You can sharpen with a diamond matrix "stone" if they get dull enuf to need it.
larry

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,468  
You can sharpen with a diamond matrix "stone" if they get dull enuf to need it.
larry

I was not aware of this. How hard was it to sharpen and what grit of "stones" did you use?
Were you able to get the nicks out of the blade?

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck
#1,469  
2) Anyone own one of the HF gasoline generators, say 5000 watt and up? Looks like one of their Lifan Honda clone engines. Just wondering if anyone has some hours on one and can give a good or bad review...........
With a 20% off coupon, looks like they might be a decent deal.

From reading their on-line reviews at the HF site, they seem variable. Some people love 'em and some report going through 3 before getting a good one. In my area there are always used low hour American made generators for sale on Craigslist for about the same price as a new HF.

Not sure if you can use the 20% coupon on generators anymore.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,470  
I was not aware of this. How hard was it to sharpen and what grit of "stones" did you use?
Were you able to get the nicks out of the blade?
Sorry, I dont have one of those knives, but have experience cutting ceramic with diamond ... no problem. Im guessing 240 for nicks and around 400 to put the fine edge on. Try googling diamond laps, stones, files, etc
larry