Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,521  
Items on sale at Harbor Freight

Cool tool that finds what is on sale at HF. At a quick glance it matches what I see in the Feb flyer (but not the Super Coupon deals) and saw in the store today. :thumbsup:

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,522  
I got the 2000/4000 inverter for $129 :thumbsup:

I've been looking at that inverter to run off the tractor so I can have some limited power with me in the field. It would also be nice to have to power some tools while I am finishing the animal shed- don't have power to it (avoiding zoning issues) and it is a pain to stretch extension cords for 300 feet....

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,523  
I've been looking at that inverter to run off the tractor so I can have some limited power with me in the field. It would also be nice to have to power some tools while I am finishing the animal shed- don't have power to it (avoiding zoning issues) and it is a pain to stretch extension cords for 300 feet....

Read the manual from the HF link. It takes couple deep cycle batteries to make much of power near the 2000 watt range.

It seems most inverter problems come from too small of a bank of batteries.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,524  
Rough calculation: 2000watts / 12V=166 Amps @ 12 volts.

That is a lot of current to pull from an automotive battery, and far more than a typical 35 ~ 50 amp alternator can keep up with.

Now I see why a bank of batteries is recommended.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,525  
That was a steal. I blew a $500 bill tonight but got a buggy full. :laughing:

The Feb flyer coupons on some items was 50% off their normal high prices. I got the 2000/4000 inverter for $129, the 2/10/55 6/12v battery charger for $30 because a man needs a manual charger around the place that he can pack. Got 5 silver 12x19 tarps for $15 each to go over equipment, etc.

Bought more adjustable wrenches, screw drivers to try to cut done on hunting and walking time. :thumbsup:

You spent $500 on that? :confused2:

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,526  
Something else that has worked for me are their boxes of "acid Brushes", assuming you don't pay retail.
They come in 1/2" to 4" and are great for things to be brushed that you don't want to waste a paint bush. Norm on PBS uses them to spread glue.
I use for glue. oil, paint touch-up, etc.
Cheap, good and one-time use.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,527  
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,528  
Problem with tools like skilsaws is the initial amperage it takes on start up. Just like a compressor when it's up and running you can power it off a relatively low power source but the spike during start up is what you can't get past.

If this is something you are really serious about you might looks at some of the 4x4 sites. They offer power systems that utilize the AC power produced by your alternator (before it is rectified) to run welders and provide AC power ports.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,529  
Problem with tools like skilsaws is the initial amperage it takes on start up. Just like a compressor when it's up and running you can power it off a relatively low power source but the spike during start up is what you can't get past.

If this is something you are really serious about you might looks at some of the 4x4 sites. They offer power systems that utilize the AC power produced by your alternator (before it is rectified) to run welders and provide AC power ports.

I've no pressing need for one, just trying to learn something! Guess that's why they say 2000/4000, for that 'spike' start up load. I'm curious, though, if you could run one, continuously, say for an emergency sump pump, without frying your vehicles electrical system, be it in a car or tractor. Remote 120 A/C would be nice at times without the need for a full-blown generator....~S

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,530  
Need help here: About the inverters. 2000 watts at 120v = about 16.666 amps of power. Doing some checking a circular saw may draw about 13a, a corded drill, maybe 7a. So why the "banked" batteries? Or is it that the alternator would be unable to keep up with the battery discharge? ~ sign me "Electrically Challenged Scotty"

2000 Watt Continuous/4000 Watt Peak Power Inverter

Rule of thumb...whatever current it takes at 120v it will take 10 times that at 12v. So to draw 2000 watts/16A at 120v then you need 160A at 12v to supply it. So no most alternators won't keep up with that.