Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #151  
This is off topic to the HF tools (although there is a HF version). I purchased one of Milwaukees Endurance ferrous metal cutting blades and have been very impressed so far. I didn't know such a thing existed until recently and now see that almost everyone that makes circular saw blades also make metal cutting blades and circular saws specifically for cutting "heavier" metal. I bought one of the 8 inch blades and have used it in my circular saw, chopsaw and table saw. It works awesome. so far I have cut up to 1 1/2" bar stock and 3/8" sheet and it makes perfect cuts without producing any heat or burred edge. It is probably 5-10x faster that using abrasive blades and it does make small "chips" but isn't as messy as the "metal dust" that a abrasive cutoff blade produces. Highly recommended! I got mine on Ebay for about $40 including shipping.
YouTube - Milwaukee Metal Saw Tips

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #152  
I'm glad to hear the discussions of the HF welders. I've got a bunch of thinner metal that I've been trying to use for projects, but my stick welder burns through too easily. I've thought about buying a HF 110v MIG for the smaller stuff.

Do they just have the one line or do they have the different "classes" like the blue vs. orange power tools?

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #153  
Iplayfarmer said:
I'm glad to hear the discussions of the HF welders. I've got a bunch of thinner metal that I've been trying to use for projects, but my stick welder burns through too easily. I've thought about buying a HF 110v MIG for the smaller stuff.

Do they just have the one line or do they have the different "classes" like the blue vs. orange power tools?

Just blue. get a good quality flux core wire, it'll reduce the splatter.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #154  
I bought the $99 flux-core welder (#94056) last year and it didn't work right. I couldn't make it do more than spit. I thought maybe the polarity was backward or something. I returned it.

Then this year I tried again with the same welder. Apparently the difference is that this one came with quality wire, plus I see a much improved wire feed tension mechanism. (Although the last one fed ok).

This welder works great, it's everything I expected.

I'm convinced they got so many returns that they upgraded the specification for the included wire, and solved their return problem.

Incidentally, can anyone explain the difference between their two very similar welders?

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #155  
Incidentally, can anyone explain the difference between their two very similar welders?

The 94056 is $149.99 and the 44567 is $179.99 That seems to be the only difference, except the 94056 states .30 to .35 wire, the 44567 states .03 wire only, So for less money get the one with both wire capabilities.

They have so many items, every once in a while you can find the same thing with two different prices, both on-line and in the same printed catalog. Sometimes a two pack of band saw blades is cheaper than a single pack.

My favorite items are the air tools, I swear I have used the right angle die grinder and 3" cutoff tools so much, they should have died a long time ago, but they just keep on ticking.

Two years ago I got the Mill / Drill / Lathe combo unit, got it on sale for 1,199. It's pretty darn handy -
44142.gif

I also have the 6" horizontal / vertical band saw and the 12X7 horizontal / vertical band saw - nice units.
clear.gif

clear.gif

I don't care to much for the metric comb wrench sets, only because they do not contain 16 and 18 mm sizes.

Larry

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #156  
Just a quicky on the air tools. I use many from HF also with no troubles. I have a air ratchet from Sears that needed the small plastic air plug under the handle to stop the air flow.
I went online and ordered the part. it was smaller than the eraser on a pencil. and cost me 4.65 shipping. LOL total of order was about 8 dollars.When It arrived it was the wrong part. Apparently i missed the number by one number. I called sears and was told no returns.So. I ordered the right part and with the total spent I could have bought two HF ratchets.
Botom line customer service.
HF GOOD Sears terrible.
(my opinion)
Al

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #157  
California said:
I bought the $99 flux-core welder (#94056) last year and it didn't work right. I couldn't make it do more than spit. I thought maybe the polarity was backward or something. I returned it.

Maybe it's a flux core thing, dunno but wire speed seems criticle. Mine seem to like a little faster then slower.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #158  
A real artist of a welder can make nearly anything weld even a couple car batteries with no welder machine but for those of you whose skills are more like mine... Well, I do from so so to pretty good with GOOD welding equipment like the top US names (Lincoln, Hobart, Miller) on simple welds of mild steel and have done good aluminum welds with my Lincoln AC/DC tombstone.

Some electricians I had needed to do some welding but there little "brand x" MIG welder was back at their shop so I let them use mine. They were amazed at how much easier and better they could weld with my Lincoln (120VAC hobby level welder, Weld Pak 100) then they could with their brand x.

The take home lesson: If you are not a skilled welder, perhaps you too could do better with a better machine. It seems that way for folks in my experience. Early learning stages of welding can be frustrating enough without crippling your effort with sub standard equipment. I am NOT saying HF welders won't weld, just that they and there other low cost brethren can be a source of difficulty for the lesser skilled among us like me and a bunch of folks I know.

Pat

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #159  
I have their mini air angle grinder, 4" "orange" angle grinder, 7x4 bandsaw, all are going strong over a year now. I just bought there 16 speed floor drill press. Works good so far.

Dan

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #160  
Dan, Since it is St Patrick's day I will mention that I have a G*R*E*E*N HF 16 speed that has served me well for quite a while. I don't actually recall when I got it but it is between 15 and 20 years. It just works... so far.

Pat