Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,641  
I'm a 'sucker' for the 90* welding magnets, C-clamps, and cheapy "Vise-Grips", (That I would never carry in my 'real' tool box!) but for welding, I'll suffer with then, and if they get 'spattered-up', Oh well..........~S

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,642  
We pulled up behind a car today at a red light, and they had a license plate bracket that read:

I WOULD RATHER BE SHOPPING AT HARBOR FREIGHT TOOLS

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,643  
Oh, and here are two comments from an article that HF posted on face book stating that they are now selling Rust-Oleum paint:

Lady:

Now I can paint all of my Chinese tools orange so when they fly apart I can find the pieces.

HF:

We would like to help with any product or service complaints you may have. Please send an email to marketing@harborfreight.com with your name and phone number and a customer service associate will contact you right away.

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,644  
Last year I called the closest HF to check stock, and a very nice young lady answered quickly and very politely that there was one left in stock and if I was coming in she would be happy to hold it at her register for me. I told her it's an hour drive for me, she replied no problem.

When I arrived she seemed to know who I was when I walked in the door and offered to continue holding the item if I had other things to get. I was more than a little surprised at her poise and demeanor which is not always evident at HF. So as an old time business owner, I was curious how she treated other customers. This very young lady was quite impressive, she treated every customer like they were special including a very elderly man who seemed quite confused about everything.

When I returned home, I dashed off an email to customer service at HF home telling them about this young lady, and how impressed I was.

Within a couple of hours I got a reply from some junior vice president telling me how sorry he was, apologizing profusely that he would look into the matter right away, he hoped that my experience there would not keep me away in the future etc. etc. I shared this letter with some friends familiar with the usual HF experience, and we all got a good laugh.

However the next day I got a second email from the same junior VP asking me to PLEASE disregard the previous email with no further explanation other than it was sent by mistake.

I have to guess that they must get a ton of grief from all over, and so rarely do they get an attaboy, they don't have a form letter for that.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,645  
my experiences with Harbor Freight tools has been very positive. It started about ten years ago when I found myself scouring junkyards for old car parts often and carrying a portable box full of Snap On, Mac, etc. and not being comfortable with it. I started building a collection of cheap tools from HF to put in the portable box so that I wouldn't worry so much. Over the years, I have doubled and then tripled my overall tool collection using HF hand tools- wrenches, screwdrivers, and sockets, and more. I stick with their Pittsburgh brand whenever possible because these have a lifetime warranty (as long as you keep the receipt- I have a folder in my file cabinet where I dutifully deposit the receipts after ever purchase). The wrenches and sockets have been great, I could count on one hand how many I've broken over this ten year span and for the price difference compared to the top name brands I think that is stellar. I stick to the impact sockets and for someone who uses and abuses them constantly I think the durability is quite good. The impact sockets are thicker so there are times I have to dip back into my Snap On collection to fit into a tight spot but big deal- $20 for a set vs. $200

Now, the ratchet mechanisms in the socket wrenches aren't real tough, I can break those. I tend to keep Craftsman socket wrenches in my portable boxes for that reason. The screwdrivers are dirt cheap but it's pretty easy to break the handles, so .... eh. The pliers have been decent. A lot of the oddball stuff, specialty tools etc, are hit or miss. There are some things that you really have to pay for quality to get it right, things such as brake line double flare tools. I've bought a few pneumatic tools (die grinder, HVLP spray gun, air saw, etc.) from HF and been pleased with them, I've bought a few electrical tools (drill, battery charger, small band saw, etc.) and have also been pleased with the results. I bought a folding shop crane about 9 years ago and it has hoisted many a big block Mopar engine and still going strong.

I think the bottom line is this:

- if you are a professional and you depend on your hand tools to make a living, invest in the good stuff (Snap On, etc.) for the anchors of your tool collection. You will notice a difference when you use them every day and depend on them

- If you are a hobbyist, Craftsman is where you should start. They are good tools with a good warranty at a good price and you should build your tool collection starting with these.

- as for HF, for either of the cases above I have no problem recommending the HF tools to round out a tool collection, to double or triple up on a particular category of tools, or to use them as I mainly have as what you carry around in your truck and allow other people to "borrow".... you get the idea. Can you depend on them exclusively? Well, yeah..... I guess.... but your experience will be a lot more positive if you don't

That's my two cents on the subject.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,646  
Last year I called the closest HF to check stock, and a very nice young lady answered quickly and very politely that there was one left in stock and if I was coming in she would be happy to hold it at her register for me. I told her it's an hour drive for me, she replied no problem.

............... I was more than a little surprised at her poise and demeanor which is not always evident at HF..This very young lady was quite impressive, she treated every customer like they were special including a very elderly man who seemed quite confused about everything.......

Right on. Something positive is going on at HF.
My local store used to be stocked with foreign looking people dressed in native garb and speaking most words in other than english. Certainly not welcoming to their intended market.
It's OK but not in a business with lots of SAE talk and tool "skill-set" needed. It was so frustrating I gave up.
Lately, however there are savvy people that understand the tool culture and have communication skills. Very refreshing and inviting.
Most of the tools still suck but I'll bet the quality is soon to improve.
My guess is HF hired some real business people with actual experience to either turn the ship around OR dress it up for sale. My bet is on the former or they wouldn't spend do much effort on the sales force.
I say get ready for higher quality stuff eventually to rival the medium-higher quality USA stuff, especially tools .

Last edited:
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,650  
When dad was still around and I would say NEVER he would say, "Son NEVER is a mighty long time." :thumbsup:

Harbor Freight will evolve into a premium tool reseller. In some lines they have good and gooder and in time they will add a goodest line.:D

I am too old enough to remember when Japan stood for cheap toys and stuff. They just used that entrance to move to the higher margin stuff.