Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,901  
Just got the new flyer in the mail and it looks like the 6 inch bench vise is back. I think I will hold off after reading here about the body filler chipping off.
One thing to avoid is HF's box of hose clamps under the 'Storehouse' label - the kind that tighten with a screw. They are made of soft metal and strip out when tightened down.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck
#1,902  
............ One thing to avoid is HF's box of hose clamps under the 'Storehouse' label - the kind that tighten with a screw. They are made of soft metal and strip out when tightened down.

+1......... these clamps are worthless :mad:

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,903  
Bought something from HF that may suck. Bought one of their 20 gauge wide crown staplers and a box of 1/2X1/2" staples. Staples will not fit stapler. Not sure if stapler is any good or not. Because I have no staples to try in it.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,904  
From the favorable reviews in here, I stopped and looked at this tool chest yesterday. The store had it for $299, and I guess you could use a 20% off coupon, while the catalog and sale flyer show it at $349.

26" 8 Drawer Roller Cabinet w/ 8 Drawer Top Chest

To me, the quality seemed exceptional and the drawers rolled far better than my Craftsman. It had nice drawer liners and the overall appearance was outstanding. I have been looking to trade up from my Craftsman and this looks like the one.
My only concern was how the paint will hold up in a garage/barn environment that gets pretty humid in the spring. My experience with the paint on Chinese stuff is that it is not real durable. Any reports on the paint from users?
Slowly, the China stuff is getting better. This isn't a Snap On chest but it's way better quality than my Craftsman.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,905  
From the favorable reviews in here, I stopped and looked at this tool chest yesterday. The store had it for $299, and I guess you could use a 20% off coupon, while the catalog and sale flyer show it at $349.

To me, the quality seemed exceptional and the drawers rolled far better than my Craftsman. It had nice drawer liners and the overall appearance was outstanding. I have been looking to trade up from my Craftsman and this looks like the one.
My only concern was how the paint will hold up in a garage/barn environment that gets pretty humid in the spring. My experience with the paint on Chinese stuff is that it is not real durable. Any reports on the paint from users?
Slowly, the China stuff is getting better. This isn't a Snap On chest but it's way better quality than my Craftsman.

We bought the 5-drawer service cart for our landscaping business and I'm pretty impressed with the quality, although the assembly was a PITA. The paint seems quite good--at least as good as my two Cman tool cabinets.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,906  
Second the Worthless comment on the clamps...

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,907  
I got a battery charger from princess auto, the same as at harbor freight, I used it to charge up a car battery, and it worked great. It was on sale for like $20, and worth every cent.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,908  
Just got the new flyer in the mail and it looks like the 6 inch bench vise is back. I think I will hold off after reading here about the body filler chipping off.
One thing to avoid is HF's box of hose clamps under the 'Storehouse' label - the kind that tighten with a screw. They are made of soft metal and strip out when tightened down.

I have several of their vises, been happy with them, haven't seen any body filler on them but so what? They are a vise, I'm gonna be pounding on stuff, yanking on them, sawing on them etc. so I don't care. Not exactly meant to be a precision instrument. If they tighten down and hold, which they do, thats all I need, not gonna spend time gazing at them.:laughing:

The hose clamps indeed are worse than worthless, wouldn't count on them for anything. I learned years ago to only buy SS good quality hose clamps. Seems often when I need one it is in a difficult spot and I don't want to be redoing it later.:thumbsup:

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,909  
Bought something from HF that may suck. Bought one of their 20 gauge wide crown staplers and a box of 1/2X1/2" staples. Staples will not fit stapler. Not sure if stapler is any good or not. Because I have no staples to try in it.
After reading some comments on this stapler. I found on the HF site Arrow T-50 staples will work. Maybe I need to read their site more often than the paper circular. I have lots of those staples for my hand staplers.
No more sore hands from pulling the the stapler handle. :thumbsup:

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,910  

:eek: There is a display that is about to tip over forward. -- Concerning quality ... I have a mid grade Craftsman tool cabinet/bench and a very similar US General one. There are a number of fine points of superiority in the Craftsman:

* The wheels are set further out on the base adding stability.
* Loaded, the drawers operate with less drag
* The same sized cabinet has more storage space because it doesnt need the 2" section for reinforcement under the top drawer.

Depending on needs and preferences these can justify the added cost of the Craftsman.
larry