Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,921  
I have several of their vises, been happy with them, haven't seen any body filler on them but so what? They are a vise, I'm gonna be pounding on stuff, yanking on them, sawing on them etc. so I don't care. Not exactly meant to be a precision instrument. If they tighten down and hold, which they do, thats all I need, not gonna spend time gazing at them.:laughing:

The hose clamps indeed are worse than worthless, wouldn't count on them for anything. I learned years ago to only buy SS good quality hose clamps. Seems often when I need one it is in a difficult spot and I don't want to be redoing it later.:thumbsup:

I wouldn't touch a Horrible Freight vice! I bought their biggest one to use in my 2nd barn so I didn't have to walk to my front barn every time I needed a vice. I was fabricating a bracket and needed to bend some 3/16" X 1" flat stock at a 90 degree angle. Just like I've done hundreds of times with my old vice in my front barn, I bent it over by hand and proceeded to smack the angle flat and sharp with a small 3 pound hammer. Much to my surprise, on about the 3rd whack the vice literally broke in half!! Looking where it broke I could see that it literally was only made of pot metal. That metal isn't good for anything more than counter weight material; definitely not in a vice! :mad:

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,922  
Any comments on the ratchet wrenches currently on sale?
I haven't been able to find any previous comments (without going through the whole thread).

I want to add this type of tool to my collection and the price doesn't seem all that bad.

I have several sets of these now. I bought a set to use in a travelling tool kit and liked them very well, especially for the price. I've not had one fail yet. They may not feel quite as smooth as GearWrench or Craftsman ratcheting wrenches, but they seem to work fine. I'd call them a "winner" at the crap shoot known as Horrible Freight.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,923  
I found a dog. The ratchets in the $9 (sale) Junkyard Socket Set. Two half-inch ratchets stripped within the first dozen times the ratchet was used, with only moderate force applied.

HF offered me a nice ratchet in exchange for the first one but I wanted another with a skinny handle to fit in that kit, for portability. After stripping the replacement, I think I'll get a used Taiwan ratchet of similar appearance from the used tool store to fit in that carrying case.

Aside from the ratchets this is a convenient kit. I keep my good tools locked up, but this stays out on the workbench in my open barn stall where it is very handy.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,924  
These engines are Honda GX knock offs. Honda GC's have overhead cam design, with timing belt and the crankshaft is supported by bushings. Gx's are the top $$ honda engine with crank shaft bearing, overhead cam design, no timing belt but timing gear and cast iron cylinder sleeve. Really good design and construction. Most of the the carbs are actually Japanese and jets are interchangeable with my Honda engine mower. I just don't know how they can offer it so cheap, I'm sure on the back of workers that get next to nothing. I do have one of those engines on a small HF generator and so far has done well. I have front tine tiller that has a Briggs engine .. probably on it's last leg. when It dies I'll try one of their horizontal engine to see how it works.

JC,

I have had excellent luck with the "Chonda" engines. I have to say that you can immediately tell they are not Honda quality....the weight, overall material quality etc, just seems to be different.....but that said, I have replaced several engines with the 6.5hp HF and one 4hp (Lifan from Home Depot) engine and all have ran flawlessly and held up well. I have also had good luck with the 110-125cc Lifan/Honda knockoff motorcycle engines as well...not that they are a HF item but I will bet that Lifan is building HF's GX copy engines.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,925  
I have had excellent luck with the "Chonda" engines. I have to say that you can immediately tell they are not Honda quality....the weight, overall material quality etc, just seems to be different.....but that said, I have replaced several engines with the 6.5hp HF and one 4hp (Lifan from Home Depot) engine and all have ran flawlessly and held up well. I have also had good luck with the 110-125cc Lifan/Honda knockoff motorcycle engines as well...not that they are a HF item but I will bet that Lifan is building HF's GX copy engines.

cool, but they are better than what they iused to be many years ago. As you said fit and finish is not Honda quality but they still deliver give price /performance.

JC.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,926  
I wouldn't touch a Horrible Freight vice! I bought their biggest one to use in my 2nd barn so I didn't have to walk to my front barn every time I needed a vice. I was fabricating a bracket and needed to bend some 3/16" X 1" flat stock at a 90 degree angle. Just like I've done hundreds of times with my old vice in my front barn, I bent it over by hand and proceeded to smack the angle flat and sharp with a small 3 pound hammer. Much to my surprise, on about the 3rd whack the vice literally broke in half!! Looking where it broke I could see that it literally was only made of pot metal. That metal isn't good for anything more than counter weight material; definitely not in a vice! :mad:

Ours threw an e-clip and fell apart...:mad:

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,927  

:laughing: :thumbsup:
Horrible Freight ! I always thought it was Harbor Fright ! :eek:
Thanks for the correction.

Boone

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,928  
I want to be able to put the pickup in a stream and fill a 250 gallon water tank. So maybe 15 to 20 feet of lift at most. The specs say total lift of 105 ft but they also say it weighs 1.00 lbs. The manual is on-line and in it there's a graph showing lift vs expected gpm.

Gpm will not be real critical for me, I hope to water a garden from an old well. Do you think reducing the size of the output would hurt anything, trying to run a sprinkler system.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,929  
Gpm will not be real critical for me, I hope to water a garden from an old well. Do you think reducing the size of the output would hurt anything, trying to run a sprinkler system.

Both the input and output are 1" but I do plan on at least trying to use a 3/4" garden hose. How deep is the water in the well? I think 26' of lift is the max. Once I get it I'll play with it and find out what it can do. It would be nice if I can run a few soaker hoses or maybe a couple of sprinklers to water the lawn.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,930  
Both the input and output are 1" but I do plan on at least trying to use a 3/4" garden hose. How deep is the water in the well? I think 26' of lift is the max. Once I get it I'll play with it and find out what it can do. It would be nice if I can run a few soaker hoses or maybe a couple of sprinklers to water the lawn.

I have an old hand dug well that to the bottom is around 26' but have never seen it dry so I believe I could operate at 20' and never run out of supply, no more than I would take out a one time, even in times of draught it will keep 13' of water.

Last edited: