Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,971  
I'm surprised the springs are sufficient. Weldingisfun, did you replace the axle because it failed?

Deereman75 - Yes. I was going to weld all the joints because these are a bolt-together kit trailer. Plus it could probably use some diagonal bracing, especially from the shackle area to the drawbar. If the IBC tank's frame rests on the trailer's shackles, does the rest of the trailer frame need to be stiffened?

This is good to hear that others have done what I am considering.

This is the trailer I have:
Shop Carry-On Trailer 4' x 6' Mesh Floor with Gate at Lowes.com

I have a 275 gallon metal caged IBC tote like you're talking about. I fill it with water and move it about 2 to 3 miles down the road and then up my driveway. It's beyond what it's rated for and I haven't made a single modification to it. I'm not sure if you would save much money buying the smaller trailer from HF and then modifying it to beef it up. If you have to replace the springs or tires then it's getting real close. I'll try to snap a picture this afternoon of my trailer with the tank in it.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,972  
I went to princess auto a few days ago, and for the first time ever, LEFT WITHOUT BUYING ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,973  
Does HF have a decent drill press that will drill up to half inch steel ? Decent price? Garage use at home, not for a business.Thanks.

I would imagine that any of the 12 or 16 speed bench or floor models would do that, given the proper procedure. I've got a 16 speed floor model that is close to 20 years old, closer in specs to the industrial ones now, and it cut a 1" hole in the tip of my fork with no problem. Little over half inch thick and tough steel as well.
Depending where you are, you can get some great deals on craigslist for tools. Granted, here in Oregon we are the meth capitol of the NW and a lot of stuff may be neer-do-wells flogging hooky gear, but you can find legitimate bargains. I got a 10 ton porta-power for $60, looks brand new and is only missing one of the wheels on the roller case.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,974  
I have had good success with HF's electronic fly swatter - the yellow one that sells for $3. Flies get in the house this time of year no matter what, especially since the dog has figured out how to work the sliding screen door.

It doesn't work too well at swatting flies - too heavy, but it's great for catching them on the window or screen. Just quickly put the swatter over the fly and after a couple little sparks the fly drops.

Just an FYI....was messing around with my 4 yr old grandson and he insisted I stick my finger in the electronic fly swatter:laughing: Dang! I would NOT recommend doing that, sure amused the boy though:D
Reminded me of a guy at work that used to like to hold on to the megger leads while we cranked away, very sick dude, he actually liked it!
I have to dig through my stuff and find my high voltage probe from the vacuum tube days, I'm curious now just how high is that fly swatter?!

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,975  
I went to princess auto a few days ago, and for the first time ever, LEFT WITHOUT BUYING ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!

You need to start a thread called "Princess Auto Tools That Don't Suck". :laughing: :thumbsup:

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,976  
This is the trailer I have:
Shop Carry-On Trailer 4' x 6' Mesh Floor with Gate at Lowes.com... I'm not sure if you would save much money buying the smaller trailer from HF and then modifying it.
I like your trailer. I have one like it (4x8) and put a picture of it back in post #1955 carrying my watering tanks. Here's another picture in typical use. I just want a separate dedicated watering trailer.

As for the little 40x48" trailer- Last week I bought a used one for $30 for this tank project. I will reinforce it as needed, but I don't expect to spend money on it beyond welding supplies.

I already had a first HF 40x48" trailer that I bought new long ago for a camping trailer - see the tight spot turnaround photo below. For anyone considering these: I made the sides from a single sheet of 3/8 plywood ripped 22.5"/25.5". The sides (22.5" high) rest on the deck, supported by aluminum angle uprights. The front panel extends down and is bolted to the face of the chassis. The back slides down side channels into a groove beneath the chassis. Now I keep that clean trailer at home in the garage for moving furniture etc. In the second photo showing how it's built, I had just bought an old AC-230 welder at a yard sale, went home and got the trailer to carry the welder, then later carried it out to the ranch. When I found the second trailer like that on Craigslist the other day I couldn't pass it up. :)

View attachment 225420

34734d1110327824-fuel-efficient-vehicles-reasonably-safe-600595-cars-trailerimg_3004.jpg

Last edited:
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,978  
... Or maybe I should do what my wife wants: plant replacement trees all in a single region. I had been replacing old down trees at their random locations and carrying water all over the place to get them established. Now the front half of the orchard is near 100% occupied after several years planting replacements, but down in back not so much.

I could put this 600 gallon tank permanently on the little HF trailer and move it (empty!:)) to the group of new trees. Block it up on cribbing, fill it using hundreds of ft of hoses, then hose-water the new trees all in one area.

This white tank weighs 650 lbs empty. So the 40x48" HF trailer should be sufficient to relocate it every couple of years. Rasseling this tank with my elderly Yanmar was at the limit of what it could do. I could lift it, but hardly move on this soft sloping ground without risk of flopping over. A dedicated trailer would be ideal for it.

121491d1234497227-dang-finally-broke-something-p1210480rlifttank.jpg

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,979  
"Does HF have a decent drill press that will drill up to half inch steel ? Decent price?"

Bench Top Drill Press - 12 Speed
Do you have one? Does anyone else have experience with this drill? Of the two reviews on that page, one says
It appears to be a solid machine with capacity for drilling smaller holes in 3/16 mild steel
Its claimed 3.5 amps is less than any HF angle grinder and I think about the same as most 3/8" drills.

If it will really drill 1/2" steel I want one! But I'm a little cautious seeing that motor rating. The "1/3 hp" motor on my smaller, ancient HF drill press isn't very impressive. It easily stalls before it slips its tiny belt.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,980  
Save your money for the drill press, and get a very old delta. My dad has a 1942 delta dill press, and it is better then most new powermatic drill presses.