Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #11  
This may be a little off topic, but....
I was surfing the HF website the other night and ran across a couple of things I wanted. There is a store about 25 miles from me and I thought I would run by there on day the following week and pick the items up. Well, I went ahead and ordered the items from their website. Shipping was only $9 for the couple of things I wanted. And no sales tax.
I put a pencil to it and just figuring my fuel I would have went $4 in the hole if I had gone to the store. And what is my time worth?
Crazy, eh?
Back to the original post.... I buy quite a bit of stuff from them but I don't know if I would get it there if I was making a living w/ my tools. But I see contracters in there buying stuff because the hired help usually tears it up before its worn out.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #12  
I have lots of their stuff for occasional use tools - they seem to be getting better. I have an SAE and Metric 3/4" socket set I bought from them probably almost 20 years ago- they have been great. I gave some to my brothers and a friend as well. No problems.

Ken

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #13  
I buy there stuff mostly on sale never been disappointed, the automatic darkening welding helmet works great, the 3/8 and 1/2 inch swivel adapters I use very hard with my air guns never broke one yet, have friends that have the trailers that fold up they over load them with fire wood haven't broke them or welded on them either. all n all just satisfied. :)

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14  
I bought a shop vac there, and it don't suck:D Just kidding! If its a tool that doesn't get much use, I'll buy it at HF, if it breaks during typical use, I'll replace it with something better. You get what you pay for, so don't expect much, and you won't be disappointed!

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #15  
I have had several years use out of the following HF tools.
4 1/2" grinder
Porta band saw
Impact deep socket set metric and std.
12 Ton hydraulic press
500A battery / charging system tester
1/2" impact air gun w/650ft lb of torque

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #16  
Hey, DETROIT, good post. It is easier to complain about HF, but I
am a happy customer of theirs, for the most part.

I have bought lots of stuff from HF, mostly quite serviceable and
mostly very inexpensive. I am not hard on my tools, however....no
"production work", no leaving them out in the rain, no lending them
out, etc.

I have also bought a refurb DeWalt 7" angle grinder and Makita screw
gun for great deals, so it is not ALL Chinese stuff at HF.

If you get a chance, see the warehouse in Camarillo....that is impressive.

I have also purchased repair parts several times...they are cheap and come
in just a few days.

Biggest things I bought were:

gas engine-powered winch
20T press ($170)....about equal to the cost of materials to make one myself
20" large (350#) drill press. came in only one box, if you can imagine
880# 120V hoist ($72) and beam trolley...excellent!
440# hoist, only $50....so cheap, it is dedicated to my camper shell storage
manual tire changer ($34)
18V NiCad battery packs, $9....buy these for the cells
several very cheap Chinese battery drills....all still work
small angle grinder
many many cobalt drill bits, bimetal bandsaw blades
air/hyd 20T jack ($50)
1300 psi 120V press washer ($79) sold when I got gas PW
1800 psi 120V press washer ($110) I have not tried this yet...it replaces gas PW
biscuit joiner ($55) cheap tool, but wks fine for limited use
15A 120V gear redux D-handled electric drill ($40) very nice!

and tons of other stuff.....

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #17  
Hi dfkrug- how well does that gas powered winch work?

I ordered one but it was backordered for months, I finally cancelled it. I still kinda want one though, assuming they are available...

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #18  
I use tools everyday to make a living, and can be hard on them "asking them to do more, quicker then they are designed to do."

I enjoy going in their stores to look around and buy expendable items like drill bits, sand paper and so on. I once tried a 4 1/2" grinder that did not hold up that well. I bought a funiture dolly with 4 casters that is great. I too, Like the welding magnets and the impact sockets.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #19  
Skyco said:
how well does that gas powered winch work?

I bought this one about 8 y ago for over $400 and it is not what HF
currently sells. Mine was called "Walt's Game Reel" and was designed
for hunters to suspend their big game to drain. It is a PTO and
gearbox system that uses a modified chainsaw. It workd OK for my
use: dragging skids of building materials up a 100% slope so I could
build my concrete water tank.

I could not find one to rent and I had no power up on my mountainside.

Attachments

• winch2a.jpg
    winch2a.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 11,486
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #20  
I have quite a few HF tools. My favorite is my T-post puller. For $19.95, I got probably the most backsaving hand tool I have. I also have an assortment of HF hand tools. They're not the best, but they're functional, and very cheap. I'm a farmer, and I use my tools often and hard. I also use them in odd places in all sorts of weather, so I often lose them. So I don't mind so much losing a HF plier, if I only spent a few bucks for it, and I usually have duplicates of the more common ones. I have a few sets of HF screwdrivers. How good does a screwdriver have to be???

For power tools, HF can be OK for homeowner use. I got one of their 18 volt cordless drills for my wife, so she wouldn't keep taking my Hitachi cordless from my shop. For the small things she uses it for, it's fine. I had a HF reciprocating saw (their "heavy duty" one), and it was fine for small stuff, but when I used it to cut metal roofing for a barn project, I used it all day, and towards the end of the day, the head fell apart. If I had just kept it to occasional use it would have been fine, but I really pushed it with that one.

Our farm is a goat dairy, and I have a HF wheeled stool in my milkhouse. I'm on my second one, the first lasted 2 years, which isn't bad with goats jumping on it and it getting wet twice a day when I have to clean out the milk house after each milking. It sure saves my back to roll around sitting on this stool as I hook up dozens of goats twice a day to the milking take offs. And since you can pick them up for $14 on sale, I don't mind if this one lasts only 2 years, as well.

All in all, I really like HF, you just have to know when their stuff is good enough or you really need a more professional grade tool.