Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #191  
Dargo said:
Oops! You got me on that one. I not only think the "cheapo" utility knife from HF doesn't suck, I actually like them far better than many of the much more expensive ones. I just take that clip off of them since I don't ever clip them on my belt. Heck, I'll even admit that I believe their design is pretty darn good. :)

The bright orange paint helps too! (but maybe we're thinking of different utility knives) :rolleyes:

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #192  
patrick_g said:
Slave, A few years ago when those roller cabinets were on sale I bought 3 of them, each with one of the add-on cabinets that hangs on the side (nice addition). I had minor assy trouble (in additioin to the weight) ... That is only experience I have to compare to and it tells me the big heavy honkers from HF are a good deal.

I too have HF digital calipers but decimal not fractional. Thanks for mentioning the fractionals, I could use one of those.

Oh yeah, seriously heavy! I actually had the crate slip off between my forklift and the tailgate of my F350. It broke the crate but the tool box didn't have a scratch on it and was completely unharmed. I was impressed. Sometimes being a one man show can get interesting ;)

The fractional calipers are wonderful. They switch between metric, decimal inch and fractional inch. Handy when sizing bolts, rod, holes and lumber. I got a 6" and a 12".

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #193  
slaveToHorses said:
Sometimes being a one man show can get interesting ;)

Uh, yup!

Years ago I bought a kitchen range from the Sears outlet store for 1/2 off because it had a scratch on the side, saving me over $400 and got new warranty. When unloading it manually by myself at home it got away from me, snatched out of my grasp by a random gust of gravity and crashed into the corner of the tailgate on the way to the driveway putting a huge dent and scratch in it.

Luckily, the stove fit in between cabinets and neither the little Sears scratch or the moon crater I put in the other side were visible when installed. :) :) All's well that ends well.

I gotta get me one of those decimal + fractions calipers.

Pat

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #194  
I bought a 28 degree framing nailer from HF last year for $89.99. I built my 32' X 48' garage with it. I think I spent almost double that for the nails alone.
Only thing wrong with them is the trigger is plastic and it broke after the first box of nails. Fab'd up a new one of of a strip of steel and back in business.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #196  
Delivery guy just rang my doorbell and left a box from HF. I bought a drum handler. It grabs the drum and lets you pick it up with FEL, hoist, crane or whatever.

It is rated for 1000 lbs. It was $19.99 plus $7 shipping. These are not all that easy to find in stores, being thought of as pretty specialized and HF doesn't stock them, in store, either but has them on-line.

Pat

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #197  
Great post.

I agree with the general take I get from this - they've got some surprisingly good stuff, some stuff which is cheap for cheap money, and some garbage. I'm still ahead on what I've bought there to my mind, and I've spent a fortune.

I do real construction. Mostly not with HF stuff, but some of there stuff stands up to it. And other times, its nice to have 6 HF tapes lying around at $2 a pop when I can't find my $30 tape.

You get a feel for what you can buy from them and what you can't to my mind. I won't buy much in the way of precision tools there. I have the calipers, which are pretty useful, but I don't use them precisely. No way I'd buy a harbor freight level. Don't know for sure they are off, but I wouldn't take a chance.

On the other hand, how can you mess up a sledge? They don't, and I have pretty much every variation they sell.

Pneumatic Pex air hose is just as good as any other I've bought. Anvil seems fine.

Roofed and sided my new barn with the Mag roofing nailer. Works great. I've had really good luck with all there air nailers. That said, I don't buy my primary nailers that I use all the time from there - just stuff I use occasionally. I'm one of those that thinks there are 2 kinds of framing nailers - hitachi and junk.

Harbor freight clamps are pretty awful. I've even broken a pipe clamp from there. That said, on most of my HF clamps I've got more than my money's worth.

Drill Bits are pretty bad.

Hand tools seem pretty good. No obvious issues so far.

Frankly, I've had a lot of good luck with tools from there. I even have a stack of catalogs next to me to go through (I find their prices can vary dramatically catalog to catalog). I'd say 1/3 of their stuff is junk, thus a combination of a feel for the place and prices that are more than a third off ends up with me way ahead

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #198  
Charlesaf3 said:
You get a feel for what you can buy from them and what you can't to my mind. I won't buy much in the way of precision tools there. I have the calipers, which are pretty useful, but I don't use them precisely. No way I'd buy a harbor freight level. Don't know for sure they are off, but I wouldn't take a chance.

I use their fractional ones, because they are cheap and the only ones I have seen. I checked the calibration against my Starrets and was pleasantly surprised to find them right on. But I don't (and wouldn't) use them for engine internal measurements.

Roofed and sided my new barn with the Mag roofing nailer. Works great. I've had really good luck with all there air nailers. That said, I don't buy my primary nailers that I use all the time from there - just stuff I use occasionally. I'm one of those that thinks there are 2 kinds of framing nailers - hitachi and junk.

I am surprised to hear good things about their nailers. They don't look that well made. Cool.
Have you tried Senco nailers. So far, I have had really good luck with my framer and stapler. Is there something I should keep an eye on or beware of?
Oh, I take that back, my framer is a Porter Cable but the same question applies.

I don't think I would ever buy something from HF without being able to see it in person!

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #199  
their cheapo roofing nailer is well worth the under 100 bucks price, ive roofed several roofs, and its been off the roof many time lol

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #200  
Bedlam said:
their cheapo roofing nailer is well worth the under 100 bucks price, ive roofed several roofs, and its been off the roof many time lol

You guys keep getting me. :eek: I don't own a HF roofing nailer, but even if it only lasted for one roof it would be worth $100 to me! I just helped a relative put on a roof that was just over 30 squares and I am sick of hammering. Why couldn't you have posted this (and gave me the idea) a few weeks ago?? :D