Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,991  
Thanks Crazyal, I did print it out myself in case one of my sons needs it.
I don't knock HF as much as I use to.Use to(still does) PO a neighbor of mine down road(buddy) when I'd poke fun at some HF products or switch the HF name around to something simular. :)
The only thing I've ever bought from HF was a cat#2 quick hitch attach(3 pt) for a little less than $106 tax included,thought it was too good a deal to pass up.

Boone

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,992  
one thing I like are the harbor fieight/princess auto ear protection, I like them almost as much as my peltors, but they cost $2-3, Next time I am at princess, I will buy a few more pairs.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,993  
I picked up two of the Adirondack rocking chairs for $22 each last night. I can't buy the wood to build them for that much. The bonus to these is they come unfinished. We're planning to put them on the porch, and we want to paint them the same color as the railing. We bought a few last year with the same idea in mind, but no matter what we do, we can't the the paint to stick. Hopefully the bare wood will work better.

I'd post a link, but the HF website is down currently.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,994  
I picked up two of the Adirondack rocking chairs for $22 each last night. I can't buy the wood to build them for that much. The bonus to these is they come unfinished. We're planning to put them on the porch, and we want to paint them the same color as the railing. We bought a few last year with the same idea in mind, but no matter what we do, we can't the the paint to stick. Hopefully the bare wood will work better.

I'd post a link, but the HF website is down currently.

Did you try sanding them down with a belt sander, and giving them a coat of a good primer?

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,995  
Did you try sanding them down with a belt sander, and giving them a coat of a good primer?

We decided to not sand all the paint off, but we did rough up the surface real good and we've tried two different kinds of primer (at different times). The paint keeps peeling up off the surface. The next option would be to take all the paint off, but it's worth $22 to not have to sand all that paint off.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,996  
Try "sealing" the bare wood with a mix of half varnish and half thinner.
Let it soak into the wood and when dry paint it.
Works for me on difficult bare wood.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,997  
We decided to not sand all the paint off, but we did rough up the surface real good and we've tried two different kinds of primer (at different times). The paint keeps peeling up off the surface. The next option would be to take all the paint off, but it's worth $22 to not have to sand all that paint off.

It was probably that chineese lead baised paint that was preventing it from sticking:D

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,998  
Try "sealing" the bare wood with a mix of half varnish and half thinner.
Let it soak into the wood and when dry paint it.
Works for me on difficult bare wood.

Do you prime after the varnish?

It was probably that chineese lead baised paint that was preventing it from sticking:D

It's something goofy about the pain that's there... lead, malamine, rice... I don't know what the cause would be.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,999  
I wonder if it was 'sealed' like an old wooden orchard ladder - used motor oil thinned with diesel.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,000  
You might try "KILZ" by Zissner as well -- comes in spray or brush and seems to keep paint on just about anything -- it could be the wood as well -- some exotic woods just do not take paint well