Page 201 of 421 FirstFirst ... 101151191198199200201202203204211251301 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,010 of 4206
    Tractor
    Kubota BX25

Default Re: Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

Quote Originally Posted by deereman75 View Post
    one thing I like are the harbor fieight/princess auto ear protection, I like them almost as much as my peltors, but they cost $2-3, Next time I am at princess, I will buy a few more pairs.
    +1

I just got a pair of the "folding" ear muffs, and they work great. Even better than the MSA pair they replaced...
    Kyle - CompactTractorFan

Kubota BX25 w/R4's (23 hp, 17.7 PTO hp), Loader, Backhoe, 60" Mid Mount Mower, Cyclone Rake Z-10 Lawn Vacuum, CountyLine Carryall, Ferris 48" Walk-Behind Mower, Honda 21" Walk-Behind Mower, Mighty Mac 4" Chipper/Shredder,
    2000 Dodge Intrepid, 2012 Ford F-150 EcoBoost

Tractor
    1946 cockshutt 60

Quote Originally Posted by studor View Post
    You might try "KILZ" by Zissner as well -- comes in spray or brush and seems to keep paint on just about anything -- it could be the wood as well -- some exotic woods just do not take paint well
    I used this zinsser bulls eye stuff, and it worked great for covering some kind of 20 year old oil based paint in the kitchen.
    Never carry gasoline in your car trunk. If you do, atleast use some sort of container.
    -red green

Tractor
    Yanmar YM240, YM186D, and another YM186D

Quote Originally Posted by earljr59 View Post
    Does HF have a decent drill press that will drill up to half inch steel ? Decent price? Garage use at home, not for a business.Thanks.
    I didn't see much in favor of buying a new HF drill press in this thread, so I went over to Welding Web and asked the same question in their HF forum. The replies were about the same as here, nobody had bought a drill press at HF who described it as heavy duty. One poster liked his $300 Porter-Cable from Lowes and two others agreed with that choice. Conclusion - HF isn't the best place to buy an inexpensive drill press for occasional heavy work.

Deereman75's advice to buy an old Delta off Craigslist looks like the best solution to me.

Tractor
    Yanmar 2210

Quote Originally Posted by California View Post
    I didn't see much in favor of buying a new HF drill press in this thread, so I went over to Welding Web and asked the same question in their HF forum. The replies were about the same as here, nobody had bought a drill press at HF who described it as heavy duty. One poster liked his $300 Porter-Cable from Lowes and two others agreed with that choice. Conclusion - HF isn't the best place to buy an inexpensive drill press for occasional heavy work.

Deereman75's advice to buy an old Delta off Craigslist looks like the best solution to me.
    I researched floor standing drill presses a number of years ago, in search of a decent budget model. Started with one from Northern Tool. Had too much play in the spindle, wasn't even precise enough for fine woodworking, much less metalworking, so that went back to the store. HF had similar quality models and they didn't inspire confidence. I ended up with a Ridgid from Home Depot, bought with a coupon. Probably spent about $75 more than the HF models cost. It was money well spent. It has been used for a LOT of stuff since then and still works perfectly. A lot more precise than what was available at HF at the time. HF may have improved since then (and Ridgid may have declined), but if I was doing it again, I'd be inclined to spend the extra money again. And I am a huge HF fan.

DP1550 15 In. Stationary Drill Press-DP1550 at The Home Depot

Tractor
    1946 cockshutt 60

Here is a picture of the same model drill press my dad and I have, it was made in 1942, and has no play what so ever, and is just as good as a new powermatic.
    Never carry gasoline in your car trunk. If you do, atleast use some sort of container.
    -red green

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    2007 kioti ck 25/130 loader and D-17 allis-Chalmers

Thanks California and Rbstearn, there is a Lowes 40 miles away.May talk my wife into a weekend run to look them over.I am going to check out craigs list also.

Tractor
    Kubota L4610, ZD21, RTV900, B2630

I got a chance to look at the Harbor Freight drill press and was not impressed. Went to Home Depot and picked up a Ryobi 12" drill press instead. The motor on the HF drill press was tiny, about 4" in diameter. I have several electric motors that I can use to re-power if the motor goes out, but they would not fit the space allotted for the motor.

I am happy with the Ryobi, I just needed a bench top drill press for wood working and will use the standing drill press for my metal work. The Ryobi cost a little more $179 but came with a two year warranty and extra features, laser finder, mechanical variable speeds-500 to 3000 rpms and a couple more I can't remember.

So I would spend the extra to buy a better quality drill press.
    RB

Tractor
    Kubota L295DT

Quote Originally Posted by earljr59 View Post
    Thanks California and Rbstearn, there is a Lowes 40 miles away.May talk my wife into a weekend run to look them over.I am going to check out craigs list also.
    Careful with Craigslist - it's riddled with fraud. I use them all the time for both selling and buying, but with cautionary preventative measures.
    It's always about food.

Tractor
    JD 5520, 790 TLB-- Kub L4300, B7800, MX5100

[QUOTE=Iplayfarmer;2478915]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sixdogs
    Try "sealing" the bare wood with a mix of half varnish and half thinner.
    Let it soak into the wood and when dry paint it.
    Works for me on difficult bare wood. [/I][/B]

Do you prime after the varnish?

No, but I guess you could.
    I use part marine spar exterior varnish and part thinner to make a semi-watery mixture. Soak into the wood one time and wait to dry.
    Paint with nice enamel paint and I have never had a problem.
    I have. however, had a problem with Kilz and stuff bleeding through or incomplete coverage.
    Just my two cents.

May I be the kind of person my dogs think I am,

Tractor
    Yanmar YM240, YM186D, and another YM186D

Quote Originally Posted by leeinMT View Post
    Careful with Craigslist - it's riddled with fraud. I use them all the time for both selling and buying, but with cautionary preventative measures.
    Agreed. There are a lot of good people using CL and some people who are there to scam them.

Keep your eyes open, walk if things go weird.

Page 201 of 421 FirstFirst ... 101151191198199200201202203204211251301 ... LastLast