Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,022  
I was given a drill doctor for Christmas and gave it away. I much rather offhand sharpen all my twist drills, both split point and parabolic.

Drill Doctor takes too much time and learning to offhand sharpen drills becomes an acquired skill that you'll never forget once you master it.

Hand sharpening a drill bit is an acquired skill indeed, and I admire anyone who can do it right.

I like the Drill Doctor because it is easy to use and has a diamond sharpening wheel. I'm surprised HF hasn't come up with a version.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,023  
I was wondering if there is a harbor freight in north west washington, I am thinking of making a cross-border shopping trip to harbor freight:D, and if there isnt one in NW washington, I cant.:(

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,026  
I didn't see much in favor of buying a new HF drill press in this thread, so I went over to Welding Web and asked the same question in their HF forum. The replies were about the same as here, nobody had bought a drill press at HF who described it as heavy duty. One poster liked his $300 Porter-Cable from Lowes and two others agreed with that choice. Conclusion - HF isn't the best place to buy an inexpensive drill press for occasional heavy work.

Deereman75's advice to buy an old Delta off Craigslist looks like the best solution to me.

To answer this- I have had their benchmodel 12 speed drill press for about 6 years, and it does fine as long you keep the speed down, use a sharp bit and let the bit do the cutting.

In addition, their stepped drill bits make a nice smooth cut and rarely hang up like twisr bits. But if you're going to be doing a lot of drilling in 1/2" stick, you need the twist bit.

As long as I keep the bit lubed, I can drill through anything I want...

...And at 39.99 on sale and with a 20% coupon added on to that, I spent a 10th of the 300$ you quoted for the "inexpensive drill press for occasional heavy work.

BTW, I went to the local HF yesterday and bought a Cat 1 draw bar for 10$ and a 3/8" chain tensioner for $19 that are both materially the same as the ones TSC sells on sale for $39 and $50 respectively, and when they get their Cat 1 quick hitches back in stock, I'm going to RUN down there and get that too [I saved a 20% single item coupon just for that].

I have occasionally had problems with the stuff they sell, but it is getting less and less often as the years go by.

My $0.02 for what it's worth here in the 21st century...

Thomas

PS: If you get Field&S, Fm. Handyman or Pop Sci magazines, they have ads in back freq with 20% single items.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,027  
Ya I found that right after I posted it....:eek: I hope to go within the next month or two.

Go to their website and sign up for email alerts. You get coupons and sometimes great deals that way.
As noted by others, choose carefully and check out their customer reviews plus comments on this thread.
FYI--I rarely buy anything with a motor.
Just my two cents.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,028  
I had just signed up for that tonight, so I hope I get some good coupons, can you get the 20% off coupons from that?

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,029  
I had just signed up for that tonight, so I hope I get some good coupons, can you get the 20% off coupons from that?

Coupons, yes, show up there and
nope, you can't use a coupon on top of a discount coupon. Read the fine print first.
Oh, and get some free flashlights,

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,030  
If you buy on-line they e-mail you plenty of coupons. Often if something is on sale you can still used the 20% coupon.