Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,072  
How did the Tire changer work out? I've been considering one but thought it might be too cheasey. Did you get the ATV tire atachment?

Dave

Hey, DETROIT, good post. It is easier to complain about HF, but I
am a happy customer of theirs, for the most part.

I have bought lots of stuff from HF, mostly quite serviceable and
mostly very inexpensive. I am not hard on my tools, however....no
"production work", no leaving them out in the rain, no lending them
out, etc.

I have also bought a refurb DeWalt 7" angle grinder and Makita screw
gun for great deals, so it is not ALL Chinese stuff at HF.

If you get a chance, see the warehouse in Camarillo....that is impressive.

I have also purchased repair parts several times...they are cheap and come
in just a few days.

Biggest things I bought were:

gas engine-powered winch
20T press ($170)....about equal to the cost of materials to make one myself
20" large (350#) drill press. came in only one box, if you can imagine
880# 120V hoist ($72) and beam trolley...excellent!
440# hoist, only $50....so cheap, it is dedicated to my camper shell storage
manual tire changer ($34)
18V NiCad battery packs, $9....buy these for the cells
several very cheap Chinese battery drills....all still work
small angle grinder
many many cobalt drill bits, bimetal bandsaw blades
air/hyd 20T jack ($50)
1300 psi 120V press washer ($79) sold when I got gas PW
1800 psi 120V press washer ($110) I have not tried this yet...it replaces gas PW
biscuit joiner ($55) cheap tool, but wks fine for limited use
15A 120V gear redux D-handled electric drill ($40) very nice!

and tons of other stuff.....

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,073  
... As I've commented before - I wonder if the mystery fluids they export in the Jinmas etc might be a means of hazardous waste disposal. :D

While I don' think hazardous waste I often wondered if if was a partial form of getting rid of plain waste as a filler. This couldn't be, right?

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,074  
While I don' think hazardous waste I often wondered if if was a partial form of getting rid of plain waste as a filler. This couldn't be, right?

Lets see, Chinese drywall laced with formaldhyde and toothpaste with some unhealthy substance added. Could be anything in that crankcase.....:D

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,075  
Regular Programming.....

I found another HF tool that don't suck at all...

The HF Frenchfry cutter for $29.95 with an extra cutter plate.

Its identical to the one I bought at Cabelas last year for $89.95 and I only got one plate, not 2. If I could return the Cabelas one, I would. Its identical.

They positively wail through spuds. I frenched 50 pounds of potatoes in a half hour and then deep fryied them in peanut oil until slightly brown and then drained and froze them. Homemade Orida brown and serve fries.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,076  
14 ga. swivel head shear, item #93115, price $49.99.

I needed to 'rip' some 16' lengths of standing seam metal roofing panels with some of the cuts right next to the seam.

Well, this is nigh impossible with hand shears or even regular electric shears as the metal on one side has to go either up or down as you make the cut.

But with these shears, a 1/4" strip of metal is sheared away, leaving both sides flat, smooth and even.
By shearing from the bottom side, you can shear right up next to a standing seam.

Haven't tried it on 14 ga. but have sheared a double layer of 26 ga. with no problems.

Cons: Hard to make a tight circle cut and hard to get the shears to bite in when you reach a raised portion of the metal.

But for fast smooth cutting on flat metal, this is the cats meow, especially when cutting next to a seam where neither side of the metal is able to curve up or down like when using hand shears.

I got this tool for $39.99 with the 20% coupon.
Well worth the money, in my opinion, even if you just need it for one project.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,077  
Anyone own the auto-darkening welding helmet?

Auto-Darkening Welding Helmet w/ Blue Flame

The price du jour is $59.99 but there is a store coupon special of $39.99 from October 18th through Oct 31st and I am tempted to buy one if I can find a satisfied owner here. I mean, a Chinese hammer that may be crap is one thing but welding helmet that protects the eyes raises the bar.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Separately, this HVLP spray gun

HVLP Spray Gun w/ Gravity Feed

that is on sale for $35 can be bought for $27 with a coupon and is really a first class sprayer. It is shockingly good.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,078  

Auto-Darkening Welding Helmet w/ Blue Flame

The price du jour is $59.99 but there is a store coupon special of $39.99 from October 18th through Oct 31st and I am tempted to buy one if I can find a satisfied owner here. I mean, a Chinese hammer that may be crap is one thing but welding helmet that protects the eyes raises the bar.

I have one and it has worked perfectly. However, I am only a beginning welder, so consider my opinion in that light.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck
#2,079  

I like mine, but I'm just an occasional tombstone stick welder. It goes on sale with coupon for $35 occasionally, or use a 20% off combined with a sale price.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,080  
X3 for the HF AD welding helmet. I've never had mine not darken immediately when I strike an arc. I'm an amateur welder, but I've burned about 20 pounds of rod using the HF Helmet. The Auto Darkening helmet has done more to improve my welding than any book, class, or demonstration.