Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,151  
...Finally, I have their 25' auto retracting hose reel with the red rubber hose. The hose reel itself leaks a little if you leave it pressurized, but that red rubber hose is probably the highest quality of all the hoses I've seen at HF, including the Goodyear. I've had this one in use in my garage on my second compressor for about 6 years. This auto retracting hose is regularly priced somewhere around $50-$60, but it went on sale a few years back, and then with a 20% off coupon it came to about $32, so it was a good deal and I bought another for the shop.

I guess YMMV on the hose reel. I leave mine pressured up all the time and no leaks. I run about 120 PSI max. Now the hose on the other hand... the outer cover is cracked and peeling on the first 10 inches of the hose (where it hangs off the reel). It's still holding air as mentioned above, but I don't know how much longer it will last. I love the reel, though. It's smooth, and the retraction is strong enough that I don't have to feed the hose into the reel.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,152  
I'll second this "no receipt-no return" new deal. My wife just tried to return my BRAND NEW plastic red/orange creeper ($17 to $25, depending) that the wheel and corner broke off of on the first use. The stickers were still on it and it was obviously brand new. No dice on return/exchange.
Now, I don't have a receipt for that creeper since it was a replacement of a returned creeper that had a crack in it and was also unused and returned. Needless to say these red/orange creepers go into the "suck" column and I would avoid them.
Feeleing frustrated, I called the manager of the store back and the bottom line is no tickee, no laundry and I am not getting a replacement creeper.

Moral of this story is I have to either keep a receipt, which I usually do, or not buy anything unless I get an OK from this thread OR the price is low enough to compensate for the risk. It's probably a good idea to have a "no receipt" policy s a company but you have to have a little leeway in certain circumstances.
Harbor Freight worked because, even though it sold a lot of questionable quality, the low price and return policy shifted some of the risk of junk back to them. The policy now shifts more of the risk back to the buyer and changes the dynamics of the price. Considering the new rules, prices are coming close to approximating that of WalMart or other sources.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,153  
I was told to buy a new one and return the old one since I then had a receipt. :thumbsup:

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,154  
Uh ... That leads to paying twice but having only one serviceable tool.

It's not as advantageous as paying once and getting a a warranty replacement if the first one fails.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,155  
Uh ... That leads to paying twice but having only one serviceable tool.

It's not as advantageous as paying once and getting a a warranty replacement if the first one fails.

No. You get your money back when you return the bad tool. Either that or you exchange the bad tool, and now you have two sucky tools. But, they're both shiny and new.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,156  
how does one abuse and air hose?

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,157  
Anyone own the auto-darkening welding helmet?

Auto-Darkening Welding Helmet w/ Blue Flame

The price du jour is $59.99 but there is a store coupon special of $39.99 from October 18th through Oct 31st and I am tempted to buy one if I can find a satisfied owner here.
Followup to my reply of 10/17:

I love mine for use with my stick welder. For the 90A Flux Wire Welder its darker than ideal. I looked in its manual; that says it is suitable for flux wire welders 125A and over. I took mine all apart and cleaned a considerable amount of soot off the module in addition to cleaning the transparent, removable outer lens covers. I haven't tried it again with the 90A flux welder.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,158  
Followup to my reply of 10/17:

I love mine for use with my stick welder. For the 90A Flux Wire Welder its darker than ideal. I looked in its manual; that says it is suitable for flux wire welders 125A and over. I took mine all apart and cleaned a considerable amount of soot off the module in addition to cleaning the transparent, removable outer lens covers. I haven't tried it again with the 90A flux welder.

HF also has another helmet (don't recall the model) that has an adjustment knob inside for both the timing and the darkness. I used that model for a number of years with my 90A flux welder.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,159  
BigE_ said:
HF also has another helmet (don't recall the model) that has an adjustment knob inside for both the timing and the darkness. I used that model for a number of years with my 90A flux welder.

Any tricks to using the welder? Also, any one have the story on the new black one? How did they improve it?

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,160  
Any tricks to using the welder? Also, any one have the story on the new black one? How did they improve it?
Somebody over on Welding Web bought the new 90A Flux Core Welder and will report what he finds. Today the store clerk told me it was identical to 98871, the blue one (and same price). The specs on the front of the new welder and on its box are unchanged, while its online manual includes 'DCEN' in the specification chart. It is not clear that this manual matches the merchandise. Stay tuned....

As for 'tricks' on how to use these 90A welders - I have the prior one #94056, I think same except no fan. The two settings seemed to be Too Hot and Way Too Hot. I bought some .035 flux core wire, and that seems to be what it was designed for.

I also learned these are real touchy about an excellent ground clamp connection. If your work spits that is the first thing to correct. I added a heavier ground clamp, but I think getting a better ground with any clamp is the real solution.