Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,201  
I don't claim 'more knowledgeable' (and I've proven that on here a few times :D) but it seems to me a battery intended for an Uninterruptible Power Supply supporting a PC will be drawn way down before it is recharged. Wouldn't that be the same use profile as a solar panel system? What do those use?

Gel cells have a gelled electrolyte BUT that doesn't imply that the battery was designed for, heavy surge current (starting applications) or deep cycle (trolling motors, solar etc.) Two separate design goals.

Pat

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,202  
MAN, you just brought back a flood of memories. Dad and I would go cut wood all summer to heat the house through the winter. I remember sitting down for lunch and taking bites of peanut butter sandwich in between sharpening teeth on the chain. We'd usually be sitting on a newly felled tree that we'd block up when lunch was over. We each had a saw, and we'd try to keep them sharp. I wasn't as good at keeping mine out of the dirt, so I usually needed to sharpen my saw before Dad did.

I can even smell the pine as I write this.

Those electric sharpeners wouldn't have done us any good as we were nowhere near a power source.

There are 12 volt sharpeners good for touchup, not replacing the regular electric sharpener. Now if you were on horseback instead of arriving by pickup you'd be forced to a file for certain.

Pat

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,203  
We use them if we replace an engine that had a 3/4 inch shaft with one that has a 1 inch shaft on some of our snow throwers in order to get the drive pulley to fit

I have their 9 hp version and it works well spinning a hydraulic pump to operate my ride-on trencher. If it ever dies I may replace it with an 11.

I did have a problem with the engine. It died of fuel starvation but it turned out to be just the gas cap on wrong pulling a vacuum as fuel was consumed. I am more careful now.

The HF ride-on trencher does a fine job for the price and the motor is very easy to start but it is a tad slow although powerful. A bigger engine would run it faster but not harder due to pressure bypass when you hit the limit of motion or max hydraulic pressure. I don't mind it being as tad slow as that lets me keep up with what I'm doing mentally!

Pat

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,204  
American Business's over-regulated ??? Seen a story the other day here on the internet that ACTUALLY showed just the opposite . Countries like China and ???? others , With Super High regulations are doing "BETTER" , ( higher growth ) than countries with lower regulations , like the U.S. . For instance in China , just to build a warehouse , before any ground breaking , is at least 9 months and usually more , ( 16 months ) . Here , heck , Wally World can purchase a chunk of land and open a Super Center in less than a year .

Original Thread . I have a lot of Harbor Freight tools . From Socket sets to Screw drivers to Chain Saw sharpener to 3000# winch for Game hoist . If it breaks , I return if warrantied , If no warranty , I repair if possible . I posted about Two ( 2 ) 1/2" drive Ratchet's . One Harbor Freight , One Craftsman . Both had skip problems when tightening in a horizontal position . Return Harbor Freight one first , 3 minutes in door and out with new ratchet :thumbsup:. 15 minute drive to Sears , "x" minutes for elder female clerk to find proper tools for repair ,then more "x" minute's while clerk tried to " REPAIR " original ratchet :confused: then more "x" minutes while she tried to find proper replacement on shelf . Fortunately , another clerk seen my lack of patience and explained to original clerk that although a 12" long , 1/2" drive ratchet may look different than another , they are the same and simply handed me one off the shelf . That is customer Service in our Great Nation !

Fred H.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck
#2,205  
I've been tempted to buy the little 66619 800 watt generator for $90 for awhile now and after reading the ratings on the HF site, I picked one up. They warn that the Chinese spark plug is no good, so I picked up a Champion plug. I gassed it up, installed the new plug, got a small heater ready for a load doing break in and ..........nothing. :mad: The cord just pulls out without engaging the engine. Sure I could repair it, but it goes back to HF tomorrow for replacement. I will say that looking at the unit, it is of pretty high quality for the price. I'll report more after I have run it awhile. My main usage will be to run a long handled tree trimmer away from a power source and also as a house backup when I don't need to run my larger gas guzzling generator - like in the summer when only the fridge needs powering.

800 Rated Watts/900 Max Watts Portable Generator

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,206  
I've been tempted to buy the little 66619 800 watt generator for $90 for awhile now and after reading the ratings on the HF site, I picked one up. They warn that the Chinese spark plug is no good, so I picked up a Champion plug. I gassed it up, installed the new plug, got a small heater ready for a load doing break in and ..........nothing. :mad: The cord just pulls out without engaging the engine. Sure I could repair it, but it goes back to HF tomorrow for replacement. I will say that looking at the unit, it is of pretty high quality for the price. I'll report more after I have run it awhile. My main usage will be to run a long handled tree trimmer away from a power source and also as a house backup when I don't need to run my larger gas guzzling generator - like in the summer when only the fridge needs powering.

800 Rated Watts/900 Max Watts Portable Generator

I'm eager to hear how quiet it is (or isn't). That could be a great little camping generator if it's relatively quiet.

#2,207  
I'm eager to hear how quiet it is (or isn't). That could be a great little camping generator if it's relatively quiet.

There are lots of reviews on for it YouTube where you can hear it run. Let's just say it ain't no Honda, but it seems to be relatively quiet. When I get one that actually runs, I'll know for sure.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,208  
I don't need to run my larger gas guzzling generator -

Don't be surprised if it uses almost as much, 2 strokes are pretty fuel inefficient, then when you figure in the cost of a good 2 stroke oil, I bet it comes close in the dollar/kilowatt department.
:2cents:

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,209  
Don't be surprised if it uses almost as much, 2 strokes are pretty fuel inefficient, then when you figure in the cost of a good 2 stroke oil, I bet it comes close in the dollar/kilowatt department.
:2cents:

And factor in the chinese 20:1 gas mix....

#2,210  
And factor in the Chinese 20:1 gas mix....

Nope, 50:1 :thumbsup:

We shall see on the fuel usage. The manual says that at 50% (400 watts) it uses 1 gallon per 5 hours running time.