Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,401  
I've wanted a band saw for a long time. I've got a Milwaukee Port-A-Band, but I wanted something on an actual stand.

I looked around, and picked up the Harbor Feight metal cutting bandsaw, the red one. I had a coupon, and bought it for $179.00 plus tax. I was out the door with a free pair of gloves from another coupon for under $200.00.

I like this bandsaw. I've used it so far to build a few things, and it seems solid. The angle gauge is off by just a small bit, but I used a square to set it at 90* to the blade. I also wish it had a cooling/ lubrication system on it, but for the price I can't complain.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,402  
I had one of the orange HF porta bands given to me when I was racing. One of my sponsors gave it to me (new). I don't remember what broke but it didn't last very long. I wasn't the one using it so I can't really say what happened. Actually none of the cheap Chinese electric tools lasted long when racing. I broke a Chuck Homier 1/2" impact wrench and a HF 4 1/2" grinder. Since I had name brand versions of each of them I really didn't care and the thought was that if something broke, got forgotten, or stolen it wouldn't be a big loss. But I never replaced them. I do have a nice light blue plastic case for my Craftsman 1/2" impact wrench though.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,403  
Propane Torch with Push Button Igniter

You can forget the kindling with this fire starter. I have to rate this as one of the best $20 HF tool that we own. Even damp brush dries out and starts burning quickly. I expect the 3500F rating may be on the high side but would take the fuzz off of an old plucked hen before you could say scat.

You can even back burn for grass fires by catching it too wet to light and burn with a grill lighter. The grass will burn but then go out when it reaches where the torch did not dry the grass.

Warning: Wear hearing protection if you do not the roar of a jet engine a few feet away.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,404  
Propane Torch with Push Button Igniter... grass will burn but then go out when it reaches where the torch did not dry the grass.
I tried one of those to kill blackberry bushes (at ground level) that climb up and choke a few of my orchard trees. To avoid scorching the trees I did this in dripping wet weather.

I felt the torch was going through propane at a huge rate, maybe fast enough to empty a bbq tank in a few minutes, but not killing much because nothing burned that wasn't in the direct blast of flame. Turning the jet horizontal didn't help. If you found that killing weeds worked well, maybe I should try this again when it isn't so wet.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,405  
I have not tried it on weeds but I am sure it would not work well for bushes like hardy berry bushes. At $15 a tank there as to be better ways.

I am guessing a tank should be good for about 15 minutes. 5 gallons of diesel/kerosene is about $20. I have more brush to pile and burn and will pay more attention usage rate.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,406  
My torch is not HF but US made "Hotspotter" or something like that by "Flame Engineering" and I use it for lots of things including burning brush and debris from leftover annuals. Start charcoal in 15 seconds and burn anything in a pile ASAP, damp or not.

My best use, however, is on japanese beetles. After trying sprays and nearly killing my trees, I discovered the torch. I wait until after the fruit is off--cherries--and when the tree has lots of bugs on it I simply wave the flame over the top of the tree and the bugs start to fly up. It cooks them all--and singes some tips of the tree, but it kills maybe 90% on the first try. There were literally hundreds of dead bugs at the base of the tree. Come back in a day or two and finish up. I was shocked at the positive results.
It does burn the tree a little but after a few years of doing this the trees look way better and bug population is way down.

Last edited:
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,407  
I used the HF torch to start my charcoal grill. I could go from cold charcoal to glowing coals in a minute or two, depending upon whether the coals had been lit before. This is a great technique if you like charcoal grills and don't like fiddling with the fire.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,408  
I have the HF torch, and it's great for tent caterpillars- hardly scorches any leaves [which the bugs were going to eat anyway] while even a touch of the flame knocks the crawlers out of the tree, where killing is easy....

It's not as good for ice melting, though it worked wonders on some bolts I needed to free up- squirt on some liquid wrench, tap with hammer, then warm it up with torch- nut comes off.

FWIW.
T

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,409  
Ill add another one that pretty much doesnt suck..

Their ceiling hoist bike rack - for $7 its a good deal - Lowes/Northern tool sell a similar lift for +$30

BUT - I did replace the rope that came with the unit though, it really streched out when I used it the first time.. I replaced it with 550 Paracord (7 strand) for $5 - still a bargain over the other units

Brian