Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,421  
My friend had one of the 'A' frame ones, and it twisted up on him, and they couldnt send the right replacement part so he rebuilt it. I have the one with the staright across top. It works fine for me but I didnt push the limits..

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,422  
My friend had one of the 'A' frame ones, and it twisted up on him, and they couldnt send the right replacement part so he rebuilt it. I have the one with the staright across top. It works fine for me but I didnt push the limits..

I have the straight top 12 ton too and I have pushed it pretty hard. Then I got an air over hydraulic jack to upgrade it. So far so good as it is still OK. The round bar thingy that conveys the force has gotten a bit deformed as it is soft metal but is still is immanently usable and easy to replace should it ever be required.

You'd think the slope top would be tougher but...

Mine is around 15 years old, I think, If I recall correctly.

Pat

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,424  
Picked up a couple of big silver tarps at Harbor Freight to cover over some equipment. They were restocking the shelves...the old ones- made in China. The new ones- made in Vietnam!

The Vietnamese trying to take over China for making cheap stuff now? Are we gonna see a crap price war? :lol:

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,425  
Picked up a couple of big silver tarps at Harbor Freight to cover over some equipment. They were restocking the shelves...the old ones- made in China. The new ones- made in Vietnam!

The Vietnamese trying to take over China for making cheap stuff now? Are we gonna see a crap price war? :lol:

Vietnamese have been doing their own version of cheap for a while now. Same with the Thai's.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,426  

I used the 20x30 version of that on my roof this past fall when it was open. I had 10-20 CMUs on it to hold it down. Went through rain and snow and still doesn't leak. Should be good for the woodpile next year.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,427  
We forget how far the quality at Harbor Freight has come since the good old days of 15 or 20 years ago. I found an early pair of their scissors today in the basement and was shocked at the poor quality of the older ones. I'm thinking 20 years old but in near-new condition.
Here's a photo of their current scissors compared with the old ones I found. I tried a close-up as well in hopes the detail will show. The quality is really bad and the paint seems only there to hide how bad it is. No adjustment screw to hold them together, just a pin hammered over. Carbon steel.
As bad as some things may seem today they are way better than they were before.

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    215.8 KB · Views: 257
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    220.5 KB · Views: 214
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck
#2,428  
We forget how far the quality at Harbor Freight has come since the good old days of 15 or 20 years ago..........

I've got a half dozen of those new HF scissors and I love them. Cheap enough to abuse but tough enough to take it.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,429  
Did anyone mention yet the cen-tech handheld IR thermometer. Dirt cheap. 29.00 maybe? I forget. Anyway, they are the best of the cheap ones and Ive used mine many times for a few years for all sort of stuff. I cant begin to name all the things they are handy for that you would not think of til you had one. As for tractors, and vehicles, they are great for quickly and
"casually," checking actual temperatures here and there. You can use them to find heat leaks on your house too. 20 years ago these were over 1000.00.
Believe me, it's the kind of tool that once you have it you are glad you do.

also, because I use them in my business and temp is critical for several things I have fluke digital thermometers etc and I have checked the centech against them and they are accurate enough. I had about 4deg F difference at 400F.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,430  
China factories had done a good job of "learning" from the companies that contract with them. :)