Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,431  
Did anyone mention yet the cen-tech handheld IR thermometer. Dirt cheap. 29.00 maybe? I forget. Anyway, they are the best of the cheap ones and Ive used mine many times for a few years for all sort of stuff. I cant begin to name all the things they are handy for that you would not think of til you had one. As for tractors, and vehicles, they are great for quickly and
"casually," checking actual temperatures here and there. You can use them to find heat leaks on your house too. 20 years ago these were over 1000.00.
Believe me, it's the kind of tool that once you have it you are glad you do.

also, because I use them in my business and temp is critical for several things I have fluke digital thermometers etc and I have checked the centech against them and they are accurate enough. I had about 4deg F difference at 400F.

Can this be used to find hidden fires or hot spots in walls as a firefighting tool?

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,432  
Can this be used to find hidden fires or hot spots in walls as a firefighting tool?
In theory, sure. But for something that critical I think I would buy a brand that I'm sure will work when I need it. Or maybe carry more than one of these. It is HF after all. :D

HF also sells a smaller IR thermometer that sometimes is on sale below $10. I have this one. It's not much larger than a car-key remote. This might be better to issue to firefighters if portability is more of an interest than precision. It doesn't have a laser to aim it, you just point it. Accuracy seems excellent so far as I can tell.

I use this when mowing to compare upper/lower radiator temp. (to see if I need to go and hose chaff out of the fins).

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck
#2,433  
HF also sells a smaller IR thermometer that sometimes is on sale below $10. I have this one. It's not much larger than a car-key remote. ............

This is really handy for checking wheel bearing temperatures on trailers. Saves the scorched fingers. :laughing:

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,434  
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,435  
These are probably the best things that I have bought at Harbor Freight.- I bought all different sizes and half a dozen of each. :)

4-3/4'' Multipurpose Magnet Holder

The price is great!- At Tractor Supply Co. and other places they cost a lot more.

Paul

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,436  
for firefighting, I think one of those thermal imaging cameras would be better. That way you can see a whole wall or flor at once, and see how hot all the differnt places are. Also good for finding people in rubble.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck
#2,437  
What else do you use remote thermometors for? This is tempting.
HF sells two basic types--one is laser aimed and the other has no laser. I figure the laser one is better but the other one gets higher ratings for accuracy.

Non-Contact Infrared Laser Thermometer

Infrared Thermometer

I've got the cheapie. Bought it on sale for 6 or 7 bucks. I also used it for looking for leaks in my home - especially good around windows and doors. Wife uses it with her 4th graders to demonstrate energy principles.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,439  
We forget how far the quality at Harbor Freight has come since the good old days of 15 or 20 years ago.

I'll second that.. I used to buy tools from them but stopped, until I got this bender this week. Haven't used it yet, but there's nothing to really go wrong with one, and the quality looks very good. Big names are selling the same unit for $100 more.

Attachments

• bender.jpg
    bender.jpg
    462.1 KB · Views: 408
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,440  
Oh, forgot to ask on the remote thermometer, is the laser model a necessity or is the non-laser version the one to get?