Page 247 of 451 FirstFirst ... 147197237244245246247248249250257297347 ... LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,470 of 4510
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1215, Toro 266-H, Pennsylvania Panzer, Case 444, Craftsman 14/6

Default Re: Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

Quote Originally Posted by alchemy View Post
    Just to clarify, even with all the examples I still don't think "idea theft" is the main reason about everything is made elsewhere. I think its mainly because they work alot harder than americans do nowdays. You can also add the fact that governments have become more industry friendly elsewhere. Pakistan and India have become industry giants and I'm glad for them. They used to be starving nations. They've done the work, they've kept government in check enough to produce, good for them!
    I'd have to agree that the reason so much is made in China is because it's so cheap. However, their total disregard for intelectual property rights makes a very unfair trading situation.
    From now on I will only buy cars that are a silver/grey color. Then I can make all body repairs with Duct Tape.

A lot of what China produces is either expired pattens or they change things just enough to get around them. But the whole patten system is screwed up anyway. The fact that you can add a link to "buy it now" to an auction website and then patten the idea is messed up. It's all too often used by large companies to either sue to make money or to block other companies from making a competing product by tying them up in court.

I can remember getting a cheap socket set from China for $5 back in the late 70s. I couldn't believe the poor quality or that they could make a set for so cheap. It's clear that as businesses have moved over their they have educated them on how to make much better products. I still think they totally don't get it and some of the no name brands still are sub par.
    Kubota L4240,Case 580K backhoe, Case 450 Dozer

Elite Member
    Tractor
    265 MF / JD 310B Backhoe

Quote Originally Posted by Iplayfarmer View Post
    I'd have to agree that the reason so much is made in China is because it's so cheap. However, their total disregard for intelectual property rights makes a very unfair trading situation.
    True but we would HF today if that was not the case.

The Blazer is still full of cheap HF tools. I just leave them in there so I can just pop the hatch and get my fix without driving a 100 mile round trip. I save on both fuel and tool costs.

Tractor
    Satoh S470 Buck

We have a saying in manufacturing engineering:
    "You can sell anything to China- Once. Then they will sell it to you."
    Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Woods Equipment Co. - FREE online download of manuals:
    http://www.woodsonline.com/manuals.aspx

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    IH2400 Belarus 250AS Ford 3000 JD110 JD210

Another way to look at it is that if we didnt have stuff from china, japan, brazil, india, we wouldn't have anything or we would have stuff no one could afford. One thing the average american also does not fully relate to is the extreme fear and chaos that the government places on industry in the US. How much money is it worth for you to risk going to prison for years for not dotting your I's or crossing your T's and to spend probably 1/3 of your time and money learning and complying with ever changing industry laws not including what you have to pay them directly? You have to have a lot of nerve and zeal to keep going in the US anymore.
    The key solution in everything always seems to be not what others are doing
    but what we are doing. We have none to blame but ourselves.

Bronze Member
    Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by evan price View Post
    We have a saying in manufacturing engineering:
    "You can sell anything to China- Once. Then they will sell it to you."
    True, but in my line it also has to be from not keeping my big mouth shut because they can't figure out how I do it unless I talk too much and give subtle hints etc without realizing. Thus the nickname "alchemy" lol

Tractor
    Yanmar YM240, YM186D, and another YM186D

Quote Originally Posted by alchemy View Post
    .... extreme fear and chaos that the government places on industry in the US.
    I have to wonder how much of that legislation is dictated by industry giants who use government to prevent others from intruding in 'their' turf.

Bronze Member
    Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by California View Post
    I have to wonder how much of that legislation is dictated by industry giants who use government to prevent others from intruding in 'their' turf.
    That's a good thing to consider. My perspective had been that I became very angry at a few large corporations I deal with because of their going overboard on their own after 911 and the laws of the patriot act pertainent to industry. What I mean is that they are kissing up too much by even furthering the laws on their own than what they have to do. Meanwhile they are the ones with the power to say "NO, this is ridiculous. We can't do this." Made me also think of this new trend to be an "ISO" company and use ISO standards set forth by unity of international industry implementing international standards and ethics for industry. The standards are inconsiderate and unethical compared to the way I have done things and of the ways many american businesses have operated in the past yet the ISO movement wants to make it appear opposite of that.

Tractor
    John Deere 110 TLB-John Deere X595- John Deere ATV

Has anyone received a 20% off coupon from Harbor Freight lately?

Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD: LX172, X740, 3520

Quote Originally Posted by Low Bucket View Post
    Has anyone received a 20% off coupon from Harbor Freight lately?
    Yes. Yesterday's paper included the usual full-page, two-sided sheet of coupons that include a "20% off" and a "Free Flashlight".

Page 247 of 451 FirstFirst ... 147197237244245246247248249250257297347 ... LastLast