Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,461  
Just to clarify, even with all the examples I still don't think "idea theft" is the main reason about everything is made elsewhere. I think its mainly because they work alot harder than americans do nowdays. You can also add the fact that governments have become more industry friendly elsewhere. Pakistan and India have become industry giants and I'm glad for them. They used to be starving nations. They've done the work, they've kept government in check enough to produce, good for them!

I'd have to agree that the reason so much is made in China is because it's so cheap. However, their total disregard for intelectual property rights makes a very unfair trading situation.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,462  
A lot of what China produces is either expired pattens or they change things just enough to get around them. But the whole patten system is screwed up anyway. The fact that you can add a link to "buy it now" to an auction website and then patten the idea is messed up. It's all too often used by large companies to either sue to make money or to block other companies from making a competing product by tying them up in court.

I can remember getting a cheap socket set from China for $5 back in the late 70s. I couldn't believe the poor quality or that they could make a set for so cheap. It's clear that as businesses have moved over their they have educated them on how to make much better products. I still think they totally don't get it and some of the no name brands still are sub par.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,463  
I'd have to agree that the reason so much is made in China is because it's so cheap. However, their total disregard for intelectual property rights makes a very unfair trading situation.

True but we would HF today if that was not the case. :D

The Blazer is still full of cheap HF tools. I just leave them in there so I can just pop the hatch and get my fix without driving a 100 mile round trip. I save on both fuel and tool costs. :laughing:

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,464  
We have a saying in manufacturing engineering:
"You can sell anything to China- Once. Then they will sell it to you."

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,465  
Another way to look at it is that if we didnt have stuff from china, japan, brazil, india, we wouldn't have anything or we would have stuff no one could afford. One thing the average american also does not fully relate to is the extreme fear and chaos that the government places on industry in the US. How much money is it worth for you to risk going to prison for years for not dotting your I's or crossing your T's and to spend probably 1/3 of your time and money learning and complying with ever changing industry laws not including what you have to pay them directly? You have to have a lot of nerve and zeal to keep going in the US anymore.
The key solution in everything always seems to be not what others are doing
but what we are doing. We have none to blame but ourselves.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,466  
We have a saying in manufacturing engineering:
"You can sell anything to China- Once. Then they will sell it to you."

True, but in my line it also has to be from not keeping my big mouth shut because they can't figure out how I do it unless I talk too much and give subtle hints etc without realizing. Thus the nickname "alchemy" lol

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,467  
.... extreme fear and chaos that the government places on industry in the US.
I have to wonder how much of that legislation is dictated by industry giants who use government to prevent others from intruding in 'their' turf.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,468  
I have to wonder how much of that legislation is dictated by industry giants who use government to prevent others from intruding in 'their' turf.

That's a good thing to consider. My perspective had been that I became very angry at a few large corporations I deal with because of their going overboard on their own after 911 and the laws of the patriot act pertainent to industry. What I mean is that they are kissing up too much by even furthering the laws on their own than what they have to do. Meanwhile they are the ones with the power to say "NO, this is ridiculous. We can't do this." Made me also think of this new trend to be an "ISO" company and use ISO standards set forth by unity of international industry implementing international standards and ethics for industry. The standards are inconsiderate and unethical compared to the way I have done things and of the ways many american businesses have operated in the past yet the ISO movement wants to make it appear opposite of that.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,469  
Has anyone received a 20% off coupon from Harbor Freight lately? :)

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,470  
Has anyone received a 20% off coupon from Harbor Freight lately? :)

Yes. Yesterday's paper included the usual full-page, two-sided sheet of coupons that include a "20% off" and a "Free Flashlight".