Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #241  
orangebluegreen said:
The problem appears the advertising didn't match the unit. ... could be a different shipment might work.
I think that's exactly the problem.

I bought HF's 90 amp flux-wire welder (#94056) and couldn't make it do anything useful. (I posted about it here). I took it back. Then I noticed Ebay had dozens of them being unloaded by some liquidator representing HF. Apparently most of them were returned!

Then a year later I bought the same model and it works flawless, very good value for the money. In my opinion the first welder's wire wasn't real flux core welding wire, it was some low bid bogus pretend imitation wire, and after HF took back a lot of welders unnecessarily, they changed suppliers for the wire and now sell a useful welder.

Like the comments on building something useful out of HF raw ingredients, sometimes you have to try samples from several batches. Just an unfamiliar business model!

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #242  
I think we all seem to basically agree that sometimes you get good value from harbor freight, but its not a place for the casual or those afraid of tinkering.

Certainly if I had to be certain it worked, like others have said I'd never buy from there.

Sometimes it isn't even the cheapest place to buy.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #243  
California,
Thanks for the info on the small wire feed. I've thought of getting a small unit that I can use on 110v. I think I've seen it on sale for around $100. I might have to get one next time.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #244  
shvl73 said:
California,
Thanks for the info on the small wire feed. I've thought of getting a small unit that I can use on 110v. I think I've seen it on sale for around $100. I might have to get one next time.
I like you bought one to be more portable and when I didnt have access to 110 volts
I got the under 100 dollar wire feed one its not to bad. Ive used it a couple times doesnt work bad. overall. I like it for small things like exhaust pipes.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #245  
Some folks think I must have stock in HF or that I am a rabid supporter. Neither is true. After all the title of the thread is HF tools that DON'T suck.

Still, so many of the posts are complaints and items the buyer thinks do suck, I guess there should have been a HF tools that suck thread.

Anyway, A while back I bought a HF 14 inch abrasive cutoff saw. The trigger switch went intermittent within a few minutes of use and then shortly thereafter the switch failed altogether. One of these days real soon now I will be putting a different momentary switch on it and pressing on.

I just got my Industrial model 4 1/2 inch B&D angle grinder back from the shop. I had recently let the smoke out and it was DEAD. About $50, including shipping, for about a $100 tool. I could have bought 5-6 HF units for the cost of the repair. I also could have had a V-8 but went for a glass of lemonade instead.

Pat

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #246  
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #247  
Thanks for the link . Now we can keep em both seperate.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #248  
I want to reconsider my previous approval of the drip irrigation system. It was interesting to play with, and get some ideas, but people would be better off putting parts together from Lowes.

No doubt harbor freight makes lots of pure junk. It's just not ALL junk.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #249  
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #250  
I've got this 12" disc sander, and it has worked very well, as has the 4x6 bandsaw. The saw coupled with my Miller welder have been two of the most used tools in my shop.
I've got more HF than I sometimes want to admit, but most of what I do have, I have found to be decent. it seems a general rule of thumb on most HF stuff is to look at it as a tool in "kit" form. the bead roller is great, after you reinforce it, as is the english wheel. a lot of this type of equipment I bought to try out, before spending huge $$$ on commercial grade equipment. It was better for me to spend a little, learn a lot, then upgrade, instead of spend a lot on fewer machines, and learn less. I can upgrade as needed.