Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,581  
Any input on their winches ?
Like, How "Bad" are their "Bad Land" (TM) winches ?
$170 off a 12K winch, now $330.
(Plus some sort of mount)

I don't have a need for a continuous duty one, just once in a while.
If I get it I will almost certainly put a front receiver on the truck, for the option of GOING THROUGH or BACKING OUT.
With a trailer on... sometimes through may be the only way.

Any thoughts on the practicality of a lighter (weight) one ?
Somehow swapping a HEAVY winch into position between front and rear when in mud doesn't look like FUN.

I had an HF winch a few years back. It was the smaller camoflauge one. I looked for it on their site and can't find it there anymore. It was about $50 if I recall correctly. I used it for loading broken down garden tractors on to a flat bed trailer, and it worked great for that. I really liked the wireless remote function.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,582  
I had an HF winch ... the smaller camoflauge one. I looked for it on their site and can't find it there anymore. It was about $50 ... worked great ... I really liked the wireless remote function.
Me too. I use it to dump my trailer. its attached to a temporary gin pole with a pulley at the top.

181508d1286387965t-winch-adapted-raise-dump-trailer-p1620625rdumptrlr-dump.jpg

Link
to a thread where I described it.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck
#2,583  
I had an HF winch a few years back. It was the smaller camoflauge one. I looked for it on their site and can't find it there anymore. It was about $50 if I recall correctly. I used it for loading broken down garden tractors on to a flat bed trailer, and it worked great for that. I really liked the wireless remote function.

I've got that one, too. I've used it to pull over small trees after I notched the trunk. HF seems to have a new supplier for their whole lineup of winches, now, though. They still have one that goes on sale for $50, but it is not wireless controlled. The wireless lets me cower behind something solid when I have the line pulled really tight. :D

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,584  
Forgot I had them but I have a HF 1" drive big socket set on sale. I dont see the exact set on-line but it's close to this one--
Jumbo Socket Set - 21 Piece

Mine is different in that sockets start at around 1 inch (with 1/2 " and 3/4" drive) and have adaptors that reduce the one inch drive. Sockets go up to around 3". I bought a long breaker bar to go with it and this and it has survived a decade of real abuse with zero problems. It doesn't get used a lot but when it does, it's on nasty things. It must have been a good day in the heat treating department.
This gets used with hand tools as well as a strong 3/4" drive impact gun and has not broken yet. The ratchet and breaker bars feel like they want to break but never do. A couple sockets feel just a whisker loose but stay on the breaker bar or ratchet just fine. It was an impulse purchase on one of the sidewalk sales and I think I paid $79--maybe less.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,585  
Any input on their winches ?
Like, How "Bad" are their "Bad Land" (TM) winches ?
$170 off a 12K winch, now $330.
(Plus some sort of mount)

Believe it or not, they have been given great reviews by off road magazines. I read here, or on another forun that they hired an engineer from Warn to design their new winches. Take it for what its worth.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,586  
Believe it or not, they have been given great reviews by off road magazines. I read here, or on another forun that they hired an engineer from Warn to design their new winches. Take it for what its worth.

I have seen some favorable mention of the new design HF "Badland" winches and am tempted to buy one. I've never owned a winch but have been thinking of getting one for my 18 ft trailer. Anyone have an HF winch on a trailer for comments?

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,587  
GOOD MORNING, I HAVE ONE AN FOR ABOUT 2 YEARS NOW AN USE IT
ALL THE TIME FOR MANY DIFFRENT PROJECTS WELL WORTH THE MONEY
CRAIG

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,588  
I got two of the HF drill press clamps when I upgrade my drill press. I really like them. They clamp well, and they hold things on the table well. I'm actually impressed with how big they open to accept large stock in the drill press.
Yup, that was money well spent!;)

I'm impressed how well it works too.- It works great even when clamping 1/16" flatbar.- I lay a piece of wood on my drill press table when drilling metal.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,589  

Great reviews are linked to advertising dollars. See this post for my views on this.

I have one of their pre "Badlands" winches, 8,000 lb mounted on a 16 ft car trailer. It is about 10 years old, used occasionally, has always worked. I think the heaviest thing I have winched onto the trailer was a full-sized Blazer, with extra junk inside, the winch never strained.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck
#2,590  
....... I read here, or on another forum that they hired an engineer from Warn to design their new winches. ........

I'd believe that they bought and copied a Warn......hired an American engineer....not so much.