Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,651  
I do own a variety of harbor freight tools, but not many. The ones I do own I have bought mostly because I have a one-off need, and it is cheaper than purchasing a name-brand expensive tool. I buy it with no expectation beyond that it work for the specific project. If it fails for the project I return it to get my money back. If it works I keep it "just in case" I ever need it again. If I know I am going to use the product repeatedly I look for professional and commercial quality. The precision and longevity of such tools make work so much more enjoyable (I.e. less stressful). One example of the one off was when I built my barn/garage/shop. I purchased a framing nailer on sale for $79. I toyed with purchasing a commercial name brand product but new that this was a once off need for the tool. The tool is junk and frustrating to use, but it got the job done and saved me a few hundred dollars. Based on the quality I have experienced to date, I would not risk a professional livelihood on their stuff.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck
#2,652  
........ Based on the quality I have experienced to date, I would not risk a professional livelihood on their stuff.

HF tool quality ranges widely. The purpose of this thread is to identify those products that people have purchased and been happy with or alternatively to warn others against a poor tool.

Anyone that needs tools for a livelihood is advised to buy premium brand name tools.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,653  
Travelover said:
...Anyone that needs tools for a livelihood is advised to buy premium brand name tools.

Ditto!

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,654  
...Anyone that needs tools for a livelihood is advised to buy premium brand name tools.

Yeah. I think that's universally understood.

To mbrun's point, Harbor Freight has it's niche in home hobbyists that need a tool for a limited use. Often the HF tool is cheaper than the rental on a professional tool from a rental yard. Sometimes they market pure junk that isn't even good for the one time use. Sometimes their tools exceed all disposable expectations, though.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,655  
My opinion, whenever a too label states 'professional quality' is when I put it back on the shelf.
Real professional tools don't need to brag (lie) , their reputation takes care of the advertising. Shame of it is that some brands have slipped from being real top notch to pure junk over the years. Generally former USA made to being pure offshore junk.
As it stands presently, very few tools are actually made in USA, many assembled from offshore components.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,656  

To mbrun's point, Harbor Freight has it's niche in home hobbyists that need a tool for a limited use. Often the HF tool is cheaper than the rental on a professional tool from a rental yard. Sometimes they market pure junk that isn't even good for the one time use. Sometimes their tools exceed all disposable expectations, though.

well said!!! that's exactly the reason why I stop there sometimes. I am still using their 7 bucks hand wrenches in carry handle in both metric and standard. I used that thing so many times, its a time saver. If I encounter a stubborn nut/bolt, I still use HF wrench but for sizing then I make ONE trip to my tool box for professional quality wrench. :thumbsup:

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck
#2,657  
I don't think it is universally understood. Every so often someone has to come along and point out to us dummies that HF sells cheap Chinese tools, which are inferior to YOUR FAVORITE BRAND HERE

Exactly, and the very purpose of this thread to sort out which is which.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,658  
...Every so often someone has to come along and point out to us dummies that HF sells cheap Chinese tools, which are inferior to YOUR FAVORITE BRAND HERE
Right on!!

That's when I have to laugh. The conversation goes like this...

Poster #1: I bought a drill at HF. It's inferior to [my favorite brand], but it did what I needed.

Poster #2: You **** idiot. That HF tool is inferior to [my favorite brand].

Poster #1: I know it's not as good as [my favorite brand]. I wouldn't buy it for professional use.

Poster #2: You **** idiot. That HF tool is not as good as [my favorite brand]. No one should buy it for professional use.

Poster #1: I know that these are cheap Chinese tools. They're kind of like disposable tools.

Poster #2: You **** idiot. Don't you know these are cheap Chinese tools??!! They should be considered disposable tools.

And the cycle continues.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,659  

Good post. My experience exactly.

James K0UA

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,660  
Sometimes they market pure junk that isn't even good for the one time use.
Corporate policy is a cheerful refund for something that breaks on first use. They know what they're selling! :D

Overall I've bought a lot more winners than losers. You just have to recognize they don't even intend to have uniform high quality across everything in the store. Consider the tap/die sets - 3 different quality grades at three different prices. The lowest one states something like 'not for automotive or new-threads use except in plastic or wood'.