Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,661  
Corporate policy is a cheerful refund for something that breaks on first use. They know what they're selling! :D

Overall I've bought a lot more winners than losers. You just have to recognize they don't even intend to have uniform high quality across everything in the store. Consider the tap/die sets - 3 different quality grades at three different prices. The lowest one states something like 'not for automotive or new-threads use except in plastic or wood'.

Hey! Are you saying my tap and die set was made out of peanut butter?:(:confused2::shocked:
(It was:(.)... but hey you USUALLY get what you pay for. I did not expect much and that is about what I got.. however it has helped me several times to chase "boogered" up threads. worth about what I paid for it..

James K0UA

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,662  
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck
#2,663  
I don't remember if I posted this one before, but I've gotten a lot of use out of these step drill sets in the past couple of weeks working on some steel and aluminum sheet metal. A regular drill distorts the metal as it curls through, these guys just punch successively bigger holes. :thumbsup:

Titanium Nitride Coated Steel Step Drill Bit Set

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,664  
Those step drills are good. I used them a few years ago to drill some 1" holes in some aluminum fence sections around my wife's flowers, then this past year I dug them out to drill holes in a new storm door to install the handles. Worked very well and I'm sure glad I had them, it was a lot easier than trying to use a Dremel to enlarge the holes to the right size. Just "step up" till you get what you want LOL

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,665  
Right on!!

That's when I have to laugh. The conversation goes like this...

Poster #1: I bought a drill at HF. It's inferior to [my favorite brand], but it did what I needed.

Poster #2: You **** idiot. That HF tool is inferior to [my favorite brand].

Poster #1: I know it's not as good as [my favorite brand]. I wouldn't buy it for professional use.

Poster #2: You **** idiot. That HF tool is not as good as [my favorite brand]. No one should buy it for professional use.

Poster #1: I know that these are cheap Chinese tools. They're kind of like disposable tools.

Poster #2: You **** idiot. Don't you know these are cheap Chinese tools??!! They should be considered disposable tools.

And the cycle continues.

One thing about the Chi-com cheap electric (corded) drills and tools is when you let the smoke out.... They all stink the same.......:laughing:

IMO, the only difference between 'quality' stuff and cheapo stuff is the time between new and the time when you let the smoke out......

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,666  
<snip> Tom, The volume thing is what bothered me and brought up the tank to be added to the input but I see your point. Now as regards heating... heating lowers relative humidity and detracts from condensing out water.

Patrick - not to argue the point, but the differential temperature of going through the cooler is what condenses the moisture (at least up to a point). If the air is cooler, the AC portion of the cooler won't be as effective as when it was warmer. In other words, AC units are more effective when the difference in temperature that they are trying to cool is a good bit higher than the ambient room temperature. It is easier for an AC unit to achieve a 40 or so degree temperature drop (and cause condensation) with a higher air temperature.

Tom

We hold these truths to be self evident:

In the system under discussion water is neither created nor destroyed.

If water by any means is removed from the air before it goes into the compressor then there is less water available to accumulate inside the compressor.

As an example: operating a compressor in an extremely arid desert. There just isn't much water available in the incoming air stream to be condensed out by ANY MEANS.

If a dehumidifier is used to dehumidify, say the air in a basement, then if you ran an air compressor in the basement it would produce less condensate than if the basement was not dehumidified.

Similarly, if you dehumidify the air before it goes into the compressor there will be less condensate produced by the operation of the compressor.

What is debatable is whether or not any particular method of dehumidification is compatible with the input airstream requirements of the compressor, i.e. starving it for air at any part of the suction stroke of a piston style compressor or similar impediment.

As a thought experiment lets put a Freon compressor type dehumidifier in a medium (intentionally vague) size box and run it. This should significantly dry the air in the box. If we pull out some of the dry air and let regular ambient air (somewhat humid) into the box then the dehumidifier should continue to produce condensate. If the box and the dehumidifier are both properly sized, then a useful rate of air flow through the box, equivalent to the input air flow of our compressor should be maintained at a significantly lower relative humidity than the ambient air outside the box.

If there is very little moisture in the air going into the compressor then there is very little moisture to be condensed inside the compressor/tank combo. Now then, since we earlier agreed water isn't being created or destroyed if little or no water is going into the compressor then little or no water is accumulating in its tank and little or no water is in the output compressed air.

Quod erat demonstrandum.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,667  
I can tell you that the titanium-nitride-coated drill bits 29 Piece Titanium Nitride Coated Drill Bit Set are not worth buying. Using them on mild steel resulted in very rapid dulling and mini chips out of the cutting edges.

Has anyone had any good luck with the floor jacks? Specifically the 3 ton steel one that there is a coupon on right now.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,668  
I bought a 2 1/2 ton(orange one) about 10 years ago. My dad has it now but it's still going strong. He doesn't use it that often but about 2-3 times a year.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,669  
I have had their floor jacks over the years--mostly the 2 1/2 ton orange ones and they all worked fine. One out of four leaked a little but I kept adding fluid and finally sold it for about half of what I paid. Now have two of their 3 ton jacks for a few years with no problems as well as one of the lightweight aluminums which has become my favorite for most work. All fine, no leaks and no drift down. I'm reluctant to recommend anything but it does seem (knock on wood) they have making jacks figured out. The aluminum one does seem to be a winner if you don't pay too much.