Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck
#2,671  
I can tell you that the titanium-nitride-coated drill bits 29 Piece Titanium Nitride Coated Drill Bit Set are not worth buying. Using them on mild steel resulted in very rapid dulling and mini chips out of the cutting edges............

I've had fairly good luck with these and find them well worth the $10 price that they are often on sale for. That said, I did bust off a 1/16 drill bit in a piece I was working on and it was a bugger to fix. Caveat emptor.

Last edited:
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,672  
Hi, my name is Patrick and I'm a HarborFreightaholic!

I have oodles of HF stuff and it is exactly like everyone says, good, bad, and indifferent depending on the tool and luck of the draw in variability within one tool type.

I have their wood lathe (Item 98676), not one of the ones stocked in the retail stores that are a tad flimsy but the special order one that is plenty of cast iron; legs and bed. It swings up to 14 inch diameter work up to 43 inches long, has a continuously variable speed tranny, and digital tachometer. It is underpowered enough that I am considering installing a higher HP motor. I have been thinking this well over a year. It is definitely usable as is but would be more to my liking if it had (ARRH ARRH ARRH...) MORE POWER. It cost literally well over a thousand dollars less than what is available in recognized brands as sold at Woodcrafters.

Cutting tools for wood lathe use are not cheap at the woodworking boutique, often costing over $100 for one. I have only a few of those, mostly bought on sale. I have 3 complete sets of the HF "equivalent" cutting tools. One had a damaged wood case so was less than 1/2 price and the others were "sale" items. I have bent one of the 1/4inch gouges and cracked the wooden handle of one of the 1 inch gouges but both are still usable and well du-uh I have a lathe and could easily make a new wooden handle as I did for a HF wood chisel.

8 Piece High Speed Steel Wood Lathe Chisel Set

I have a sharpening jig with a dedicated 8 inch bench grinder. I find that the HF tools are consistent in quality as regards taking and holding a sharp edge equal to most of my "real" tools and almost as good as the best (with the exception of carbide edged tools.)

I have an 8 inch HF grinder mounted on my welding trailer, an 8 inch HF grinder in the wood shop, and a 10inch HF (Special order) Grinder in the metalworking shop. All of these grinders work fine.

I have several 4 1/2 inch angle grinders, a couple different models of HF and a couple American named Chinese built ones (probably at least 6 that work plus my Milwaukee 7 inch MR GRINDER. These HF units are not consistent in their resistance to letting their smoke out but for the cost (on sale) compared to the cost of buying slightly better quality Chinese made grinders with names on them like Dewalt etc. they are cost effective for me. I can have a cutoff wheel on one, grinding wheel on another, wire brush on another, etc. If one dies I'm not out of business.

I have HF corded hand drills. They all work, none have failed, all are underpowered. My cordless drills and impact drivers (two of each) are Dewalt and have lasted for years with only an occasional new battery. I have Craftsman corded 3/8 no better than HF. I have a Milwaukee Magnum Hole Shooter 3/8 reversible corded drill that is over 30 years old and works perfectly except it has so much stalled torque that it is dangerous. (It is a REAL tool.) Ditto SAZALL by Milwaukee, same age.

I bought the cheap HF skill saw with LASER. The LASER died within a few days but as HF is nover 100mile RT I don't run back daily.

The tach on the wood lathe died within warranty. I asked over the phone for a replacement. It came 6 months later. I had already done the troubleshooting and discovered the power supply section died so I cobbled in a wall wart and it worked for over a year and a half before the digital display went dark. I haven't opened it up to see what is wrong. I have the entire new tach on the shelf so I could start fresh.

So do I like HF? Yes I do but I have no illusions regarding across the board quality. Everything is its own situation. I have HF air brad guns and a pinner. Some guns have failed in warranty and were replaced, others lasted till out of warranty and still others are going strong. It is a luck-of-the-draw situation. I have their T-nailer that shoots (dare I say it) T-nails into concrete. Works so so with their nails. I bought an assortment of T-nails from a big box store (internet sale) and none of them penetrate concrete at all but the HF do.

Fiberglass handled ball peen hammers in all their sizes, no problems but their dinky little carpenter hammers are a bad joke, obvious at a glance. Their looooong drill bits (well over 2 ft long) sure are handy sometimes. I don't make a living with their big Silver and Deming bits but for careful occasional use I have a set at less cost than only one bit of higher quality. If I have serious need for a bunch of holes and plasma cutting isn't applicable then I can buy that one real bit I need.

I have had no trouble with their air operated pop riveter or manual ones or the rivets.

Welders, a frequent topic here... Well...guilty until proved innocent, I wouldn't want any HF welder that I know about if it were on half price sale. Just not worth the aggravation. Try driving a spike with a rubber handled tack hammer. It may be possible but it is a frustrating effort prone to failure. I have a Lincoln AC/DC tombstone stick welder, a Lincoln 120VAC powered MIG, A Hobart MIG "Handler 180" 240VAC which works with flux core or gas and does stainless and aluminum too, and a HyperTherm plasma cutter. You can't fake it with welding and expect good results where safety may be involved. My apologies to any HF welder owner operators who get consistent professional results. Miracles may occur.

I got lots more HF stuff like wood working vices and machinist vices and combination vices, anvil, hi-lift jack, winches, caster wheels under nearly everything in the shop. The heart of a wood shop is a good cabinet saw. Mine is not HF (3HP, 52 inch table SawStop) I have a 20 year old floor standing drill press- - HF 16 speed works fine. OK, OK I'l quit for a while...

Pat:):):):):)

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,673  
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,674  
I just bought 3 pallets of "non working and parts" HF returns on ebay recently.

After going through about half of them this is what I've found.

12V Jump start/power units. I've got multiples of all models and other than a non working compressor in one of the 5-in-one units ( these are pretty nice) the recurring issue is a non functional charger. I'm going to keep one of the five in ones and charge it with either a cordless drill charger or regular battery charger.

Oscillating multifunction power tool. I've got a ton of both the standard and variable speed and every single one had a loose wire coming into or out of the power switch....30 second repair.

4 1/2" angle grinders.I have a LOT of them.... The cheap blue Drill Masters have a variety of irrepairable issues and I rate it as "Don't Bother" from what I've seen. The red and orange units were all repairable and had issues in this order; A loose wire at the power switch. One soft brush that appeared to have wore down almost immediately...new brush and all good. A bad power cord that was obviously damaged by hitting it with a spinning grinding wheel.

Submersible and sump pumps. I've got a boat load of all models and they all "kinda" work. Plug them in and spin the impeller by hand and they take off. In other words....they all seem underpowered and it appears after a little use and accumulated crud/sediment they don't have the grunt to self start.

12V marine pump (94639). They seem very heavy and pretty well made but EVERY one had burned through the super thin fiber board brush holder. Apparently as soon as the brushes get hot it burns the holders and cocks the brushes to the side or off altogether.

3/8" close quarters drill, keyed and keyless chuck. Every single one had exploded gear boxes....I rate them a "do not buy" from what I saw.

The cheapest 3/8" drill Master drills uses only the plastic housing to align/engage the motor and chuck spindle and it's not enough to keep them from slipping under load. The mid level Drill Master uses a metal plate w/ bearings to hold and align these pieces.

I have a ton of tools that I only got one or two of. It's been really surprising how many times I've found a loose wire at the power switch or soft brush worn to nothing on an otherwise like new tool....the vast majority fall into these categories. I also recommend that anytime you check brushes to give a squirt of oil to the plastic brush screw. This will allow even the tightest ones to come out easily, since they crack and break easily.

I still have a lot of larger grinders, buffers, drills, battery chargers and heaven knows what to go through..will update when I form an opinion on those.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,675  
Their description of the $8.99, 21 piece tap set:
Caveat emptor. :D

Well it did'nt say that on the box, unless it was in chinese:) and yes they are made of peanut butter. Or some kind of "metal" as soft as peanut butter. You get what you pay for. Usually:) I have had good luck with some harbor freight stuff and bad luck with some others.

James K0UA

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,676  
I just bought 3 pallets of "non working and parts" HF returns on ebay recently...

Wow!! Excellent info Darryl. It's like have a micro survey of all the problems with HF tools. I've seen those pallets of returned HF junk, and I've wondered if it would be worth it. The shipping usually kills all hope for me, though.

Thank you for sharing.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,677  
Wow!! Excellent info Darryl. It's like have a micro survey of all the problems with HF tools. I've seen those pallets of returned HF junk, and I've wondered if it would be worth it. The shipping usually kills all hope for me, though.

Thank you for sharing.

I had purchased a combination metal shear,break,roller from the seller and had to pick it up so I decided since I was making the trip down to TN, I might as well bid on as many 99 cent auctions as I could......hence, 3 pallets of HF returns ;) Also got a lot of Northern Tool, Sears and Home Depot items too. Wife was just Thriiilllllled :D Hey, she got a $300+ hammock (for $20) out of it and is taking a nap in the shade as I type. Don't know why she's griping? Can't get in the garage right now but she's lovin that hammock :thumbsup:

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck
#2,678  

Thank you for sharing.

I agree - a big thanks to Darryl.

Years ago when I worked as an engineer for an auto manufacturer, I used to scoot over to Windsor to the parts return depot. Back then all Canadian dealers had to return warrantied parts. I learned more in a day taking apart transmissions than I could in a lifetime of reading warranty reports. There was a guy there that could disassemble a transmission with a large ball peen hammer in a matter of seconds. You just had to tell him ahead of time which parts you needed to see intact. :laughing:

Too bad HF doesn't take a few minutes to diagnose their issues. It seems like they'd improve their reputation and save a lot of waste.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,679  
Too bad HF doesn't take a few minutes to diagnose their issues. It seems like they'd improve their reputation and save a lot of waste.

I would bet that for every 1 item returned, there are 10 items that just get tossed in the trash, maybe more. The price is so low it just isn't even worth the cost of gas to return it, much less the time and hassle for many people.

The ones that do get returned are probably the ones where people bought an extended warranty, and HF already made their money on that.

I went through 4 of their chainsaw sharpeners, each time spending $10 in gas to return it. After the 4th one I just got my money back. One didn't turn on, one wouldn't turn off, one worked for a day before the switch died, and the last had a cracked wheel. I would never recommend on of those.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,680  
What do you guys think of this rolling toolbox from HF but made by US General? Price is the lowest I can recall.

26" 8 Drawer Roller Cabinet w/ 8 Drawer Top Chest

Update--this ad shows the price as $359 but my email coupon shows a price of $319 that's good for a week.

Last edited: