Page 269 of 422 FirstFirst ... 169219259266267268269270271272279319369 ... LastLast
Results 2,681 to 2,690 of 4219
    Veteran Member

Default Re: Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

Quote Originally Posted by BigE_ View Post
    I would bet that for every 1 item returned, there are 10 items that just get tossed in the trash, maybe more. The price is so low it just isn't even worth the cost of gas to return it, much less the time and hassle for many people...........
    I agree, but what I meant was that if you are getting a lot of failures from something as simple as a wire falling off a switch, a few phone calls back to China could fix it easily. That's how Japanese stuff went from being junk to world class - attention to detail.

Tractor
    Yanmar YM240, YM186D, and another YM186D

Quote Originally Posted by Travelover View Post
    ... a few phone calls back to China could fix it easily. That's how Japanese stuff went from being junk to world class - attention to detail.
    Actually no. I've read there is a significant cultural problem, it is impossibly rude to say quality (provided by the low bidder you selected!) is unacceptable, you will be ignored, and your only remedy is to switch to a better supplier. Take a look into the Chinese tractor forums on here, particulary old posts from the early days. Problems went unresolved for a long time. Nobody in a Chinese corporation is delegated power to halt production when quality slips (or customers complain). It just isn't done.

Japan is a different culture, 'continual improvement' is a core value for their manufacturing. See Deming et al.

Tractor
    Kubota M9000 Hyd shuttle/Massey 1085

I have to report that the 12 inch disc sander I bought a month ago is doing fine except for the crap plastic lower cover on the disc below the table. I set it on fire the other night deburring lift plates for my centerstands.

No problems with the motor (has all kinds of balls), the table (plenty stout) or the dust collection system other than the plastic cover.......

I had to fabricate a new end cover from steel sheet and tig the joint together to make up a new cover because the old one went upo in flames and stinky smoke. Good to go now.

Worth every bit of 139 bucks other than the plastic cover but then you need to find the weakest point and make it better...right?
    A couple Kubota's
    "If haying was easy, everyone would do it. It isn't."

Tractor

"Some Assembly Required..."

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by California View Post
    ............Japan is a different culture, 'continual improvement' is a core value for their manufacturing. See Deming et al.
    Excellent point. The Japanese say that waste is worse than theft. With theft at least the thief benefits.

Tractor
    Kubota M9000 Hyd shuttle/Massey 1085

Quote Originally Posted by California View Post
    "Some Assembly Required..."
    That pretty much holds true with anything today other than items with few parts.
    A couple Kubota's
    "If haying was easy, everyone would do it. It isn't."

Silver Member
    Tractor
    07 Kubota L3400

Quote Originally Posted by Kernopelli View Post
    I just bought 3 pallets of "non working and parts" HF returns on ebay recently.

..will update when I form an opinion on those.
    Looked on Ebay last night and couldn't find any for sale. What do you use as search. Is there one specific company that auctions all their stuff?

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by Kernopelli View Post
    12V Jump start/power units. the recurring issue is a non functional charger.
    Those have a removable cord to charge from an automotive cigarette lighter. Just plug in the 12V cable from a wall wart transformer, where that cable goes. Problem solved.
    Submersible and sump pumps. ... "kinda" work. ... after a little use and accumulated crud/sediment they don't have the grunt to self start.
    I've had that problem. It seems they soon lose the factory lube at the impeller. Spray a few drops of oil into the intake. Good for another round.
    12V marine pump (94639). They seem very heavy and pretty well made but EVERY one had burned through the super thin fiber board brush holder. Apparently as soon as the brushes get hot it burns the holders and cocks the brushes to the side or off altogether.
    Can you repair these? I could use a few if you are interested in selling them repaired.

3/8" close quarters drill... Every single one had exploded gear boxes....I rate them a "do not buy"...

...Drill Master...

I also recommend that anytime you check brushes to give a squirt of oil to the plastic brush screw. This will allow even the tightest ones to come out easily, since they crack and break easily.
    I'm surprised about the close quarters drill, not surprised about Drill Master. That whole line screams 'throwaway tool'. (but actually my two work fine). And thanks for the tip how to get brushes out professionally!

Elite Member
    Tractor
    265 MF / JD 310B Backhoe

800 Rated Watts/900 Max Watts Portable Generator

Today we went over to HFT to pick up two of these work benches with $79 coupons for our "shop trailer" project that had stalled out due to needing to build a work bench.
    Garage Workbench w/ Lighting and Outlets

Near the check out counter they had the 800 watt gen sets for $99. Feeling sorry for HFT after such discounts on the benches I wanted to be nice so we picked up the generator.

We turned on the AC in the 7x14' enclosed trailer and the son is building the benches while I work on the 25 "burn-in" of the generator so it will then be ready for full loading when needed. After 3.5 hours at 500 watt load all is well. Paid $20 to get an extra 2 year in store swap out coverage.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CTfDwczKC8&feature=related]Chicago Electric 800 Watt 2 Stroke Generator Frequency and Voltage Testing - YouTube[/ame]

Out of 187 reviews it came out a 4+ out of a possible 5. This test on Youtube was detail.

Anyone have usage experience with the 800 watt HF genset?

How noisy is the generator? It would be nice if they made it with a 4 stroke motor, I bet they could make it whisper quiet and no need to mix gas.
    Kubota L4240,Case 580K backhoe, Case 450 Dozer

Page 269 of 422 FirstFirst ... 169219259266267268269270271272279319369 ... LastLast