Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,691  
I read somewhere it was rated 61 db.

It really is not bad at all. It is setting about 20-25 feet from me and with a vent fan running in a bathroom about 15 feet from me I do not really hear the generator at all.

The main reason I want a 40 pound generator is to charge the backhoe and big truck batteries without having to remove them or to help start them in cold weather.

Another thing is I have a pole saw I would like to be able to use away from the the house.

800 watt is not much but $99 ($79 with 20% coupon) is not much either.

I would like a Honda 2000i but have not found that new like used one for $400 like others seem to fine. :(

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck
#2,692  
I bought one of the 800 watt generators and find it to be a great value for the $80 that I paid for it. It is surprisingly quiet and nicely made. My plan is to use it to power the refrigerator during extended power outages rather than run the big generator and to power my long pole tree trimmer in the back 40.

If you read the reviews you know that everyone recommends changing the spark plug to a brand name.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,693  
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFKyO3FDSsI]Chicago Electric Genrator powering a Chainsaw - YouTube[/ame]

This guy shows how he was able to get the 800 watt HF generator to run his electric chainsaw. His approach makes sense and I want to try it with our pole saw for the back four since I do not have a back 40. :laughing:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CTfDwczKC8]Chicago Electric 800 Watt 2 Stroke Generator Frequency and Voltage Testing - YouTube[/ame]

I reposted this link from above because it is sure to appeal to the geeks because he does a stress test using VOM and frequency meter. I just used a Kill-A-Watt which I think is a must if one owns ANY generator. He tested up to 1100 watt load.

Not sure why but the manual calls for a 25 hour break-in peroid before pulling 800 watt load. The manual stated it can be used for up to 30 minutes at 900 watts which is good for chainsaw use I would think.

Yesterday I got 10 hours @ 500 watts load and now am on the third tank going for 15 hours total run time. 5.5 hours @ 400 watt load run time in the manual seems to be correct.

Since the happy reviews that have 300-400 hours of run time on their 800 watt HF generators seem to have done the 25 hours break-in time up front I am doing the same. I still have to pick up another spark plug but it started OK this morning after 10 hours on the OEM plug.

Since I mix my 2 cycle fuel at 40:1 and now use Stihl HP Ultra synthetic that is what I am using for the generator. Some other reviewers use the same ratio but the labeled 50:1 ratio on the genset seems to work well per the reviews.

#2,694  
This guy shows how he was able to get the 800 watt HF generator to run his electric chainsaw. His approach makes sense and I want to try it with our pole saw for the back four since I do not have a back 40. :laughing:

I love this guys chain saw safety gear, no eye protection, no chaps, tennis shoes. :laughing:

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,695  
Interesting note on safety. I recently got the Stihl chaps and head protection. While the chaps meets the OSHA standards for large gas chainsaws they did not stop the chain on electric saws so as to be approved for electric chain saw usage. They make more torque than gas I read.

If you try your electric chainsaw with the 800 HF generator please post results.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,696  
I hope that gas tank on that little generator is very small. On my Honda 2000i, I get an average run time of 12 hours per gallon of gas. Average is probably around 500W. During that time, I'm running a 1500W heater that cycles on and off, plus 8 or so 12V lights, and I'm charging the batteries on the motorhome.

Of course, my generator was $900, so it is going to take a *long* time to pay for itself.

#2,697  
I hope that gas tank on that little generator is very small. On my Honda 2000i, I get an average run time of 12 hours per gallon of gas. Average is probably around 500W. During that time, I'm running a 1500W heater that cycles on and off, plus 8 or so 12V lights, and I'm charging the batteries on the motorhome.

Of course, my generator was $900, so it is going to take a *long* time to pay for itself.

The only thing this generator has in common with the Honda inverter generator is the output. No comparison.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,698  
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSNDhoc996g"]Harbor Freight 900 watt generator This How you quite them - YouTube[/ame]

Guy put his HF generator in a big box to quiet it. Or "quite" it as his title says.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,699  
I've had no luck with electric chainsaws, hedge trimmers and the like. I always cut the cord somehow.....:laughing:

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,700  
The only thing this generator has in common with the Honda inverter generator is the output. No comparison.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYQqI01gBe0"]Honda EU2000i Gas Generator VS Harbor Freight Tools Generator - YouTube[/ame]

Here's a comparison. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

(Sorry, couldn't resist. Just giving you a hard time.)