Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,721  
I know I don't post much, I mostly read for the knowledge.

Picked up the 4 sided diamond encrusted (haha) knife sharpener.

To be honest, I've looked around on the internet to get an idea on how best to use it.

I'm basically attempting to sharpen a nice set of my kitchen knives. I see so much conflicting information.

My latest attempt turned out fairly okay...I turned a dull steak knife into something that could actually cut a sheet of paper with some persuasion. But it doesn't come close to shaving hair off my arm.

Any tips, what steps, what angle, what grit, etc. would be appreciated. My apologies, just trying to learn.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,722  
The knife sharpener is one of the best deals you could have stumbled into at HF. You'll be shaving with a knife in no time--just don't start with too coarse of a grit and learn how to hold a 20 or 25 degree angle consistantly. It's an art form that requires practice. Maybe search the net for how to sharpen a knife and while you are learning, pick up a box of band-aides.

EDIT--this is from the Buck Knife website on how to sharpen.
BUCK
Modify to fit your style. You'll be slicing tomatoes on TV in no time.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,723  
Before you shave with a knife, you'll need one more thing... A leather strop with jeweler's rouge. You'll be amazed at the difference that 10 strokes or so with a leather strop will make.

Also, I get better results when I pull the blade rather than push... I.e. instead of a forward motion like you're wittling with the blade, draw the blade backwards accross the sharpening stone. Be sure to keep both sides of the blade even. The first sharpening will take the longest as you're actually changing the angle of the bevel to fit your particular style of holding the blade.

Sharpening a knife is an art. Having a good set of stones to start with helps a lot. I haven't tried the HF ones, but I hear they're good.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,724  
I let out my 10" tile saw again. I see they paint it blue now, mine's that ugly orange color.

I here ya! I can't imagine having to use something that is painted orange:laughing:

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,725  
I here ya! I can't imagine having to use something that is painted orange:laughing:

I was looking at air nailers and staplers yesterday online, and I noticed that they are all milwaukee red now. My old ones are blue.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,726  
Red? I noticed on my red HF stuff if you leave it out in the sun in about a month it is PINK:laughing:

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,727  
WHAT!?!?

I love Harbor Freight, but honestly, their tools are crap

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,728  
Red? I noticed on my red HF stuff if you leave it out in the sun in about a month it is PINK:laughing:

I have one of the formerly red (now pink) manual tire changers. Even pink is still nicer looking than that orange. I really hate the orange and it gets worse (like the red) with age.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck
#2,730  

My neighbor has a HF trailer parked in his front yard. Yup, pink. :laughing: