Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,731  
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,732  
Be still my beating heart--a guy I know has this electric impact wrench for an auto body shop and loves it. He knows nothing of the HF "Experience" and bought this (plus a buffer) on a Sunday when he had an emergency and other stores were closed. Anyway, here's the impact gun--and he uses it a lot. He bought as a throw-away but it never quit.
Electric Impact Wrench - 1/2"

I am shocked at the four star rating--it doesn't seem possible. Anyone else have one of these?

More on the pad buffer when I know more but he has used it for over a year and it works fine. He buffed out some scratches for me and, despite looking well-used and knocked around--it did a great job and sounded strong. How can this be? Should he play the Lottery now?
Anyone have either of these?
I do, mine gets used intermittent, but when it does, it's hard use. I bought it on the recommendation of my friend/welder, who has had several- over about 1 15-year period. He beats the living daylights out of them and they still last about 5 years for him- with brush replacement. He priced it out, and figures that he is still under the retail price for a DeWalt or Snap-on professional model.

Also, I have had several HF winches- [that get left out uncovered in all weather] on my snow-bear snowplow for lifting it, and while a couple were only good for a couple of years, the 3000# HF wired remote one I have now has been on there for 4 or 5 years. I'm too old and tired to remember exactly how long it's been....

The fairleads are long gone- bashed off by raising the plow too high into them, but it's still going very strong. ...and it's very tough service- multiple frequent direct lifts of my 500+ plow with various amounts of extra weight depending on the year, frequently in sub-zero weather and windchills [except for this year- so far- but it's snowing heavy right now].
FWIW,
T

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,733  
I know I don't post much, I mostly read for the knowledge.

Picked up the 4 sided diamond encrusted (haha) knife sharpener.

To be honest, I've looked around on the internet to get an idea on how best to use it.

I'm basically attempting to sharpen a nice set of my kitchen knives. I see so much conflicting information.

My latest attempt turned out fairly okay...I turned a dull steak knife into something that could actually cut a sheet of paper with some persuasion. But it doesn't come close to shaving hair off my arm.

Any tips, what steps, what angle, what grit, etc. would be appreciated. My apologies, just trying to learn.
Spend $10 on a fiskars axe/knife/scissors roller sharpener and also get a sharpening steel [like chefs use].

Best combo ever for sharpening kitchen knife- I had to buy a second for my axes- the boss wouldn't let me have it back...

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,734  
Coupon Display

This just popped up in my inbox and I did not read the fine print. I am trying to go Cold Turkey for a month. :(

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,735  
I have:

4" angle grinder - stopped working, took it apart, didn't do anything but it works great again

Clamps - great

Paint brushes - for throwaway projects that don't need to look awesome

Safety glasses - nothing is going 100mph in my garage

3hp 8 gal Central Pneumatic air compressor - takes a while to warm up but works

Orbital palm sander - eh, works okay

Zip ties - like 'em

Pittsburgh Steel 6 piece pliers - mostly good but one did come apart on me

I really like Harbor Freight, although I'm willing to shell out for name brand cordless tools (and happy I did)

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,736  
Spend $10 on a fiskars axe/knife/scissors roller sharpener and also get a sharpening steel [like chefs use].

Best combo ever for sharpening kitchen knife- I had to buy a second for my axes- the boss wouldn't let me have it back...

Becoming proficient with a good steel IS the best thing you can do for your hunting, fillet and kitchen knives. I was a meat cutter for years and a few occasional strokes will keep an already sharp knife sharp for a very long time. I have also found a big difference in the quality of steels.....in general, you get what you pay for but for sure most of the ones you see for sale for kitchen use are junk. The commonly found and inexpensive steels from Wustof, Henkels. Chicago Cutlery, Dexter-R, Victorinox, etc. (considered good brands) all seem like cheap junk made for kitchen knife sets that they know will never REALLY be used for their intended purpose. The best consitently good brand of steels I have used have been the F. Dick steels and used ones are available online pretty cheap. My 75+ year old Dick oval steel is still unquestionably the best steel I've ever personally used and I have used (and own) a LOT of steels. I recently saw the same used steel for sale online for about $35.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,737  
Anyone buy the grinder stand and if so, is the base heavy enough to keep the grinder from tipping??

On sale for 22.99 with my inside track membership.

Bench Grinder Stand

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,738  
Anyone buy the grinder stand and if so, is the base heavy enough to keep the grinder from tipping??

On sale for 22.99 with my inside track membership.

Bench Grinder Stand

Yes, I have two of them--one for a grinder and one for a buffer and I haven't tipped them over in three years. The base is not what you would call heavy but it works for me and doesn't feel tippy.
I also have their heavier---cast iron--- stand and it's almost too big. That base is certainly big and heavy enough. My grinder is 6 inch and buffer is 8 inch. I'm actually going to put small wheels on them this year and see what happens.

Last edited:
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,739  
I just noticed that grinder stand on sale.

I recently bought their other one called 'Universal Bench Grinder Stand'. It has four legs tapering up to a center shelf then a small tabletop. It's so solid that I'm thinking about using it for a big vise and moving my grinder to that single-column stand. If the column version were attached to an old wheel, I could move it around easier than the Universal stand.

Sixdogs, that's encouraging that you haven't needed an additional base to stabilize the column-style stand.

Maybe I'll go buy one.

Pixguy, I went back and edited this. Sorry about the convoluted original version. Hey where the heck is NH? Is that one of the Maritimes?

:D

Last edited:
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,740  
Pixguy, did that help any? :D

Thanks for confusing me. :confused2: Doesn't take much

I think I'll listen to sixdogs though and buy the base stand one. (My sister lives in Cali and I never listened to her either)

Thanks guys!