Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,791  
Those older Briggs do not like Ethanol. I have a walk behind DR string trimmer with one on it. The seat for the float is some sort of gasket material that turned to mush. As it did the engine did the same as yours, most likely from getting too much gas. That shouldn't be an issue with a new engine that's designed to run with Ethanol in the gas.

You're probably right. Problems started a few years back when I somehow stored it for winter with gas in it. I'm always careful to run the gas out of the carb whenever I'm done with it but somehow I forgot that year and even though I use stabilizer in every tank of gas, it messed up the carb. Ran some Sea Foam through it which helped some.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,792  
You're probably right. Problems started a few years back when I somehow stored it for winter with gas in it. I'm always careful to run the gas out of the carb whenever I'm done with it but somehow I forgot that year and even though I use stabilizer in every tank of gas, it messed up the carb. Ran some Sea Foam through it which helped some.

Ditto- my B&S motors have not done well since the change to Ethanol-containing fuel. Both my mower and log splitter motors were replaced by Chino-HF motors about 2 years ago after complete failures, despite using Stabil as directed, and frequently replacing fuel.

The China motors have been great- but they're not the new Predator models.

I'm looking into getting one for my genny where the BS [oops B&S] motor is also having trouble coping.

As always, YMMV

Re: The truck cranes- I did want to add a wrd of warning- IF you're going to bed mount it like I did, get a welder [or DIY] to reinforce to mount from underneath with gussets to the frame- otherwise, you risk bending your bed and having to reset it- like I did using a nearby tree, a come-along, and some tow straps.....

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,793  
I would like to give a two thumbs up :thumbsup::thumbsup: to these 3 ton

Aluminum Jack Stands - 3 Ton

aluminum jackstands when on "sale", as they are now, for $29.99. The fit and finish is surprisingly high, they are very lightweight and are an asset to anyone that might have a need for a prettier and lighter jack stand. They won't to anything the steel one won't but they sure are easy to maneuver and look nice, especially for a hot rod or whatever. I always back up my jacks with a second one for safety just in case.

Addeddum here--I'm going to buy a second set and sell my steel ones. They are that nice.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,794  
Took a chance and bought the 7.2 Amp variable speed hammer drill. Needed to anchor a gestation cage in the barn concrete floor. Rental unit was $35 for the 1st 2 hours and $10 / hr after that, and my farm is almost an hour from town. Renting just didn't make sense.

The HF drill ended up $26 after my 20% off. It seemed like a well made drill and it really made short work drilling into the cement. It had had both bad and good reviews, but I'm ahead of the game on this one.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,795  
Took a chance and bought the 7.2 Amp variable speed hammer drill. Needed to anchor a gestation cage in the barn concrete floor. Rental unit was $35 for the 1st 2 hours and $10 / hr after that, and my farm is almost an hour from town. Renting just didn't make sense.

The HF drill ended up $26 after my 20% off. It seemed like a well made drill and it really made short work drilling into the cement. It had had both bad and good reviews, but I'm ahead of the game on this one.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,796  
Not exactly a HF specific issue but I went to a farm store today to buy a four way lug wrench and picked up a USA made KD one that was marked $7.99. It was next to some Chinese ones also marked $7.99 so I thought it was a great deal to buy American for the same price. I felt a little pride that America was figuring it out. After all, a lug wrench is merely a machine forging that is machine press-welded together. Well, I got to the checkout and it was confusion in isle five. The wrench was really $17.99 and did I still want it? I passed.

Really, the Chinese one looked substantially the same and when $7.99 is compared with $17.99 on an inanimate object that is nearly impossible to screw up and used once a year, the choice is easy. It bothers me, and I would have paid $10 or more, but I'll swing by HF next week and pick one up for their $7.99 sale price less my 20% off coupon for a net price of $6.40. And it's five star rated.

20" Four-Way Lug Wrench

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,797  
wow what a difference..but aparently the HF one youll get is good in your opinion so that would qualifie as a tool that doesnt suck.lol
Oh BTW I just had to use an old k mart ratchet as my sears one stripped out again.grrrrrr

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,798  
I have been using HF since the mid 80s. Used to have a rule, if it had a cord or more than 3 moving parts, dont buy. I have since revised my method after buying a 4" angle grinder probably 8 or 10 yrs ago for 9.99. Still working fine. I could go on about missing parts, or holes not lining up. Having to make a few modifications here and there. The only bad tool was a $19 recip saw that stripped its gears the 1st time I used it to cut a piece of 1/2 round stock. I would have fewer hobbys if it wasnt for HF.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,799  
Sounds like I bought the same model recip saw mine did just that.I should have returned it but i cut the cord off and tossed it to the dump.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,800  
I have a bunch of harbor freight hand tools and three of their power tools. Their hand tools have been great, i use them almost every day and every bit as good as my snapon other then the finish. How ever i would rather break a harbor freight tool then a snapon any day. I have broken a bunch of sockets and a couple of the 1/4 and 3/8 ratchets. All where replaced with no questions asked. I have their sds hammer drill and it has been a fantastic tool. I tore a chuck up in the first one, but i was using it on a project that was way out of the range of the use of the drill. How ever i had the warrenty and they replaced it. I also have their 10 inch brick and tile saw been a fantastic tool as well. I also have their orange cement mixer other then the directions which suck, the cement mixer has been great to have. I can load it up let it mix while i am out setting other posts or w/e i am doing. Much easier then by hand in a wheel barrel.