Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,851  
Have you ever used this tire changer with a regular car tire?

Yes, the full size model, and it can give you a little bit of a workout. If the tire is old and dry roted it is harder to dismount and will take a bit of muscle power to get the job done. Mounting a new tire is easier as it is pliable and you're not fighting against a stiff sidewall.

Ken

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,852  
Armchair theorist here ...

To get an old and worthless tire off its rim - would it help to lay it on the ground deflated and drive another vehicle over the sidewall to break the bead loose? Or even assist the weight of that vehicle with a sledge or tire iron to start breaking the bead loose. Then flip it over and do the other side too. Finally when you put it on the changer the breaking-lose phase of the project is already completed.

Somebody must have tried this. Did it work?

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,853  
Armchair theorist here ...

To get an old and worthless tire off its rim - would it help to lay it on the ground deflated and drive another vehicle over the sidewall to break the bead loose?
I hear the edge of a bucket on a front-end loader will work pretty well too .... :D

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,854  
I hear the edge of a bucket on a front-end loader will work pretty well too .... :D

I heard that too, but you would have to secure the rim to the ground. I just had the old rim/tire combo laying on the ground, and when I pushed down with the edge of the bucket all it did was roll the tire/wheel combo upright.

Ken

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,855  
I sure do Today I demounted and mounted 4 tires its paid for itself many times over.I also just bubble balance. the tires.
Its also fine for breaking beads on the small tires wheel barrow lawn tractor etc.Doesnt have anything to offer when removing the tire or mounting them.(small tires)
Only concern I had with the changer is the tool to spoon the tires off.its too beefy and not thin enough to do the job. I use it to remove the tires but to put the new ones on I simply used the short tire spoons I had.Takes some effort but isnt to bad.The main thing is breaking the beads and it does that just fine.
Another way I did the breakdowns was like someone said use the bucket edge.But for many years id use a solid 2x6 like a ramp on the bead.Drive another vehicles tire up it like you would a ramp and stop at the top. then flip the tire and same thing again Its worked fine sometimes Id have to hammer the wood down but want to bad.
Ive also considered buying a machine but even though I do on average of 80 tires a year I dont feel its worth the money at this point..Yes HF used to carry a 34 dollar version.mine came from Northern tools an was 100 dollars 15 years ago.http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_18863_18863
Have you ever used this tire changer with a regular car tire?

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,857  
I've broken car tire beads loose with a bumper jack. Just lay the wheel under the bumper and put the base of the jack right up against the wheel. Haven't done it for many years, but it always worked well back when I didn't have a lot of money.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,858  
for my money you can't beat their wrenches and sockets. they are in expensive and hold up well. power tools are iffy but hey prices are cheap and have never had a hassle returning something.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,859  
for my money you can't beat their wrenches and sockets. they are in expensive and hold up well. power tools are iffy but hey prices are cheap and have never had a hassle returning something.

Well, if you don't have a receipt, the item was purchased more than 90 days ago or has some special warranty, you will get a hassle these days.
They would not take my broken creeper back, even though it was new, because I could not find the receipt. So I had to buy a new one on sale for $18, keep the receipt and sell it on the side for cash $(20). Then I used the receipt to return the old one.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,860  

Well, if you don't have a receipt, the item was purchased more than 90 days ago or has some special warranty, you will get a hassle these days.
They would not take my broken creeper back, even though it was new, because I could not find the receipt. So I had to buy a new one on sale for $18, keep the receipt and sell it on the side for cash $(20). Then I used the receipt to return the old one.