Page 290 of 648 FirstFirst ... 190240280287288289290291292293300340390 ... LastLast
Results 2,891 to 2,900 of 6472
    Elite Member
    Tractor
    265 MF / JD 310B Backhoe

Default Re: Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

Quote Originally Posted by crazyal View Post
    They have a ways to go. Since there's only one sort of close (3 hours each way) that's all I can base my impression on. First, the shopping carts look like they came from a Chinese grocery store. They are about 1/2 to 2/3 the size of a normal cart. Yes it's minor but it's the first impression and you know what they say about first impressions. Then there's the whole "lot number". Stop using the word "lot" and start using "item". Next, stop using those Chinese boxes, tan cardboard should stay in the backroom. While on the subject of boxes, make the Chinese package things better. There's nothing like seeing a poorly packaged product that moved during shipping and has torn the box leaving the buyer to wonder if everything is still in the box.

If HF wants to move beyond being a discount tool store it needs to change it's image.
    Do not know what carts at a Chinese grocery store look like but I just made a 100 round trip as an excuse to visit our most local store to get the free Labor Day VOM that cost me $137 to get out of the store and the cart was not too full. The carts are just the right size so two can pass.

Ours is in an old party market store with good access and nice restrooms required after a long drive if drank a lot of senior coffee at your favorite fast food joint.

I agree they tend to be over stocked by some standards but southern rural rednecks love touching tools and the more the merrier.

We tend to think of Ambiance of HF stores and the poorly packaged products as a good thing because after we get all greasy working on our old equipment expensive store Ambiance and packaging don't make us no never mind.

Tractor
    Kubota's - B7610, M4700

Sawmill -
    They used to sell a sawmill which was actually mad by a fairly well known sawmill manufacturer - Hud-Son.
    underpowered, very light frame, but with 20% off only came to about $1,700. Half the price of a Woodmizer.
    Finally found several reports of users of it on arboristsite and it was well worth the $$.

They have switched mfg and it is now a copy of a canadian sawmill. just read some recent reports from a couple users and they say it's great for the price they are getting it for; Portable Saw Mill w/ 7 HP Gas Engine
    My rides - '95 Kubota M4700 w/ PEC, LA1001 FEL :'07 B7610, LA352 FEL, Bush Hog SBX 48 box blade, '09 Woods BH70-X w/ 16" bucket and thumb, 3pt pallet forks, Dale Phillips PHD, Jinma 8" chipper, 2 Piranha's, Winco 12KW PTO generator, Howse plow, 5' KK tiller, 5' Big Bee cutter, with a 2002 7.3L Ford F350 CC DRW 4x4 and '07 18' Hudson HSE Deluxe trailer - 5 Ton to haul it all
    My saws - JD CS 62, efco 3500, Stihls - 021, 660 w/woods mod, 660 w/ DP muffler, 088, Woodmizer LT10

Tractor
    JD 5520, 790 TLB-- Kub L4300, B7800, MX5100, M6800

I'll go along with liking the ambiance of the stores. It's an odd and eclectic mix of cheap cardboard boxes and low priced tools with some bargains and some not so bargains. Some quality for the money and some not worth it at half the price. Having lived over 60 years and paying attention, I do believe we will look back on this era of shopping at Harbor Freight and will fondly recall the "good old days". The quality of the hand tools is rapidly improving yet the price is still reasonable or even cheap.

May I be the kind of person my dogs think I am,

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

And sometimes you can find the identical tool in a pretty box at Sears for 3 times the price.

Bruce

Tractor
    Yanmar YM240, and now just one YM186D

sometimes you can find the identical tool in a pretty box at Sears for 3 times the price.
    Yep. And it works the other way too. I bought the identical clone of HF's table saw at Lowes - with Skil's trademark painted on it. Lowes included a free stand, that HF charged an extra $30 for, making Lowes overall price lower. Home Depot's Ryobi and Sears' Wen table saws also look identical. Checking just now, HD's Ryobi costs even less than what I paid while Sears' Wen is 40% more.

I would say HF is an equal competitor to the big boys in this example.
    Last edited by California; 09-04-2012 at 01:21 AM.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    265 MF / JD 310B Backhoe

Today I noticed some items at HF that seemed high to me today. They may be items they are requested to carry by customers to keep them from shopping other places but HF is not sourcing them directly for one reason or another. I was pleased with the $27 24" adjustable wrench that I picked up today based on its look and feel. Picked up several blister packs of tools for under $10.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

Based on what I read here, I bought the blue, thirty dollar, paddle switch angle grinder. On a hunch, I opened the head up to see if it had grease. There was a glob of grease in there, but it was stuck back in the head in such a way that it wouldn't ever contact the gears and spread out. I manually smeared it on the gears. A word of advice!

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by joshuabardwell View Post
    Based on what I read here, I bought the blue, thirty dollar, paddle switch angle grinder. On a hunch, I opened the head up to see if it had grease. There was a glob of grease in there, but it was stuck back in the head in such a way that it wouldn't ever contact the gears and spread out. I manually smeared it on the gears. A word of advice!
    Good tip. HF tools should come with an asterisk

* Some dis-assembly and proper reassembly required

Tractor
    TYM T293

I bought the 10" tile and brick saw a few years ago. I have replaced the supplied diamond blade after a few bathroom and kitchen remodels and it is still going strong. So far, 3 kitchens floors, 4 kitchen back splashes, 1 kitchen counter, 4 bathrooms (walls and floors). And it was $199. This has truly been a diamond in the rough.
    Tom

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work" - Thomas A. Edison

Tractor
    Kubotas: L3240GST B2320HST B5100D & G5200H

Quote Originally Posted by joshuabardwell View Post
    Not to worry - when it overheats the grease will start to run & get spread around.
    That's the problem with trouble.
    It always starts out as such fun."
    - Randall Brown

Page 290 of 648 FirstFirst ... 190240280287288289290291292293300340390 ... LastLast